PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] custom background

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I changed my xsplash and gdm.How can I add custom backgrounds to that background folder?(usr/share/backgrounds)
Oh yes,someone warned me for that,don't know why.

Temposs
December 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Basically what you should do is make a folder called Backgrounds or something in your home folder. Then put your new background images in there. Whenever you want to add a new background, put it in that folder, then open System->Appearance->Background, and click Add. Find the image you want to add, and then it should be included in the list of backgrounds you can choose from at any time in the future.

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
No,I mean the folder where the default backgrounds are stored.It needs a sudo command.

Temposs
December 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Don't bother adding stuff to there. That folder is only meant to hold the backgrounds that come preinstalled with Ubuntu. Use the method that I recommended above.

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM
So something like this,changing backgrounds to the new file name of course
sudo cp /usr/share/backgrounds/TheRainbowisDead.jpg /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg

Temposs
December 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM
oh you mean you want to take background images and put them into the xsplash folder?

Yeah, something like that command should work.

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM
This works for xsplash.But for changing gdm background I'll have to be able to add a picture to usr/share/backgrounds.The options for changing gdm are limited to the default folder.
When you do this:a set up window will pop up
sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Check it out:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1333683

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Should be something like sudo Nautilus,but that's a command that isn't recognized.

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Ok,I managed to get files in there.Thanks for the replies.