PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Alt + Tab Issue

kikloo
December 8th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hi,

After trying out a lot i have noticed that Ubuntu lacks some basic functionality which should be present in a multi-tasking operating system.

For eg.

I selected a text file and then on other hand i had gedit opened. Upon selecting the file and keeping my click, clicked i tried to press Alt+Tab to get the focus of gEdit but it won't work.

Basically i tried to drag and open the file in gedit but sad thing was that i was unable to switch from one window to another. What is the point ? Did i miss something ? Even small basic functionality is not there how am i suppose to use it. I guess the GUI is just for fun and real thing is in command line.

This is one of those reasons why people do not prefer Linux. Anyways please let me know if this is a glitch on my side coz i do that very well in Windows.

Thanks.

fancypiper
December 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Doesn't gEdit open the file in a tab? Just click on the wanted tab.

kikloo
December 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Doesn't gEdit open the file in a tab? Just click on the wanted tab.

Maybe i did'nt explained it properly, here i go again:

Open gedit
Open file explorer (Now gedit is in background)
Select a text file in file explorer
And try to click and drag it into the gedit.

Obviously as gedit is in background you will press Alt + Tab keys to get the focus while holding the selected text file.

Let me know if it was success.

Thanks.

fancypiper
December 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Try setting your windows preferences so that it uses the mouse to raise focus.

I have gEdit preferences so that it allows only one instance, so it opens different files in the same window, but with a different tab.

mtbsoft
December 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Sorry but I don't see what the problem is.

I don't need to use Alt-Tab nor are there problems with fore/background focus, I simply drag a file from nautilus onto gEdit (in the background) and it opens a fresh tab with that file open (staying in background) - no need for Alt-Tab, no need for special preferences, just simple normal behaviour.

davidm84
December 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think he means that if it (gedit) isn't "visible" i.e. hidden behind the file explorer he is trying to open the file from and he wants to drag it into gedit to then edit the file... I haven't tried that in windows but you can always drag it to the "bottom panel" over the window you want.
I know this isn't a fix but this isn't a "basic functionality" of an "OS". If you double click on a file, it should open up in that gedit window already open.

kikloo
April 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I think he means that if it (gedit) isn't "visible" i.e. hidden behind the file explorer he is trying to open the file from and he wants to drag it into gedit to then edit the file... I haven't tried that in windows but you can always drag it to the "bottom panel" over the window you want.
I know this isn't a fix but this isn't a "basic functionality" of an "OS". If you double click on a file, it should open up in that gedit window already open.

Hi,

Ya that is what I mean. Did you tried it in Windows. It works like a charm in Windows but not in Ubuntu.

Thanks.

asmoore82
April 19th, 2010, 04:02 AM
This is one of those reasons why people do not prefer Linux.
Absolutely not.

I know people who've used Windows for years ~ even taken computer classes ~
and don't know what Alt+Tab does.

I also know folks who have a hard enough time dragging and dropping such that
dragging and Alt+Tab all at the same time would be a nightmare.

The more user-friendly way to achieve the same results is to leave both windows
visible and simply drag and drop. The next best thing is to drag it down to the
window list and that window will be brought to the foreground.

But as you have pointed out, dragging and Alt+Tab-ing simultaneously
is not supported in Linux - at least not in Gnome for sure -
and that is not a big deal: Linux is NOT Windows. (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm)

kikloo
April 19th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Absolutely not.

I know people who've used Windows for years ~ even taken computer classes ~
and don't know what Alt+Tab does.

I also know folks who have a hard enough time dragging and dropping such that
dragging and Alt+Tab all at the same time would be a nightmare.

The more user-friendly way to achieve the same results is to leave both windows
visible and simply drag and drop. The next best thing is to drag it down to the
window list and that window will be brought to the foreground.

But as you have pointed out, dragging and Alt+Tab-ing simultaneously
is not supported in Linux - at least not in Gnome for sure -
and that is not a big deal: Linux is NOT Windows. (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm)

Hi,

I am not going comment on someone's capabilities of what they can or cannot do. Anyways my point was that if Linux is trying to be Windows then lets do that properly.

Thanks.

mtbsoft
April 20th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hi,
if Linux is trying to be Windows then lets do that properly.
Therein lies the root of your misunderstanding, Linux is NOT trying to be Windows (fortunately) - Linux is (very intentionally) being AN ALTERNATIVE TO Windows, YOU are trying to make Linux be Windows and that's a very different thing.

I strong recommend you read the "Linux is NOT Windows" article that asmoore82 referred you to, it might help you better understand why Linux is different.

If you want your pet to look like a cat, sound like a cat and behave like a cat... then buy a cat! Likewise, if you want your computer to look just like Windows, behave just like Windows, BSOD like Windows and cost like Windows, I suggest you install Windows.

kikloo
April 20th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Therein lies the root of your misunderstanding, Linux is NOT trying to be Windows (fortunately) - Linux is (very intentionally) being AN ALTERNATIVE TO Windows, YOU are trying to make Linux be Windows and that's a very different thing.

I strong recommend you read the "Linux is NOT Windows" article that asmoore82 referred you to, it might help you better understand why Linux is different.

If you want your pet to look like a cat, sound like a cat and behave like a cat... then buy a cat! Likewise, if you want your computer to look just like Windows, behave just like Windows, BSOD like Windows and cost like Windows, I suggest you install Windows.

Hi,

I did'nt asked for a pet cat. I got a pre-made pet cat I just downloaded it and installed it and it turned out to be the same cat as Widnows.

Anyways I know Linux ...its architecht etc. is different and it is not Windows yes you are correct. But this is only true if you're looking at the tech. stuff, when it comes to the desktop, your system looks like to be becoming next Windows.

I also understand it is being done to newbies feel comfortable, thats why same type of desktop is being offered with some modifications etc.

Anyways I am not complaning, I just asked if the Alt + Tab feature can be added to make it more convinient...I don't understand why I am arguing about it. Its your pet cat, if you add it fine. if you don't then also fine, alternatives are always available. :lolflag:

Thanks.

mtbsoft
April 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I got a pre-made pet cat I just downloaded it and installed it and it turned out to be the same cat as Widnows.

Anyways I know Linux ...its architecht etc. is different and it is not Windows yes you are correct. But this is only true if you're looking at the tech. stuff, when it comes to the desktop, your system looks like to be becoming next Windows.
I can see what you mean but I still think you're a little confused over the Linux != Windows thing. Perhaps we're just talking about different breeds of cat rather than different types of animals.

Ford = car, GM = car, Ford != GM. By your argument you could use Linux, Windows and OS/X interchangeably in the above thread, which is not strictly true.

While it is true that the interfaces of all three have many similarities, it is also true that there are significant differences, both above and below the covers and it is often these differences which cause people to defend the different systems passionately.

If I might offer a little advice. Asking for a feature that you've seen in Windows is fine, but to say that the feature would make Linux better by making it more like Windows will tend to elicit a far more impassioned (and often negative response). A large number of people use Linux BECAUSE it isn't Windows and will defend that difference... to the death!

Vive la différence!

benmarshallcorser
April 28th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I think its more accurate to say that Linux is trying to be OSX, if anything. The **** I don't like about Macs I don't like about Linux too.

I miss being able to browse directories of mp3s in a nice, full-screen Windows Explorer tree/folder layout, pick up one I want, then Alt + Tab to my playlist and add the song it in the position I want it.

That said, I don't miss it enough to go back to Windows! Unison for sync, integrated FTP, simple as you like SSH and a readily accessible command line (Tilda rocks!) are easily enough for me to put up with slightly confused GUIs and unfamiliar feature sets.

Proud to be different. Peace!

kikloo
April 29th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Hello,

I must say that people are using dumb excuses to hide the fact that the feature that is being discussed here has nothing to do if its Windows or Linux or some other flavor. Its a very basic feature which every OS should have when the OS is providing multi tasking. Its a feature that just ease some thing nothing else.

I don't understand from where Ford, GM, Cats etc. are coming up. Just put this small damn feature and get over it. I would say NO OS is TRYING TO BE ANOTHER OS. I just feel myself and (that is my personal feeling) that every OS should UN-COMPLICATE things while providing the FULL POWER to the USER. It should be easy, smart, powerful and flexible and what not.

I understand that stubborn developers at Ubuntu are more interested in putting in silly features which are not required by everyone or for which people can download softwares but they are not willing to improve their core thing.

And its just me saying I prefer Windows because its easy coz I can do Alt+Tab and Drag drop thing in it. I don't understand when you people say "Ubuntu is not like or becoming Windows".

If Ubuntu is not like or becoming Windows and its a totally different thing then WHY ?

1. Put Alt+Tab functionality like Windows ? Why not some other key combination or something totally different ?
2. If you have put multi tasking, task manager and Alt+Tab then why not put Drag drop ?

So basically by not putting in Drag drop in Ubunutu you cannot say that Ubuntu is not becoming Windows becuase you're copying other stuff from Windows but you people are just not admitting it.

Anyways this debate is pointless as Flavours of Linux Comes and Goes but Windows is FOREVER. Its as simple as that.

Period. End of discussion.

kikloo
April 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Oh and Windows 3.1 had this functionality but Ubuntu has reached v10+ and still it does'nt have this basic feature. Dumb!!!

sebas9854
July 16th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I don't care about this stupif Windows vs Ubuntu thing, is there a fix or not?

FQ`9
July 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Dosn't alt +tab change Windows?
I mean Application Windows