PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Irony or Progress ( 9.04 works,9.10 does not )

mcooke1
December 8th, 2009, 05:59 AM
As I seem to when a new version of Windows is released I bought a new laptop.
I have now installed 9.10 on the older Laptop and removed Vista, I had been dual booting on that box. No worries works fine, so I decided to see how 9.10 would work on the new Laptop, used the live CD booted and no wired, no wireless. I still had my 9.04 CD so I used that, live CD boot again and everything works out of the box. I won't say any more about that.
I am wondering if I should try and get the wired and wireless working with 9.10 dual booting on the new Laptop or wait until the next release.

Wired Atheros AR8131 PCI-E
Wireless Itel wifi link 5100 AGN.

ikt
December 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I have now installed 9.10 on the older Laptop and removed Vista, I had been dual booting on that box. No worries works fine, so I decided to see how 9.10 would work on the new Laptop, used the live CD booted and no wired, no wireless. I still had my 9.04 CD so I used that, live CD boot again and everything works out of the box. I won't say any more about that.
I am wondering if I should try and get the wired and wireless working with 9.10 dual booting on the new Laptop or wait until the next release.

Wired Atheros AR8131 PCI-E
Wireless Itel wifi link 5100 AGN.

I'd wait till the next release, however google around a bit there may be a solution to getting those working or even at last resort give ubuntu netbook edition a try, as I understand it they have extra drivers included.

If the laptop is new new there may just be no drivers for it yet.

What's the model?

mcooke1
December 9th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'd wait till the next release, however google around a bit there may be a solution to getting those working or even at last resort give ubuntu netbook edition a try, as I understand it they have extra drivers included.

If the laptop is new new there may just be no drivers for it yet.

What's the model?

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I have been searching on this forum and other people have been having problems with the Atheros AR8131 PCI-E or the Intel wifi 5100 AGN but no one else appears to have had trouble with both at the same time. I am able to use 9.10 on the older laptop so I may wait for 10.04 for the new one.

The 9.04 live CD worked so the drivers were available then.

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/notebooks/satellite/p500/pspg8a-01u004/specifications#details

I must say that this Toshiba makes Windows 7 look good but I would like to compare it with Ubuntu on the same box.

mcooke1
February 25th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Solved by using a USB ethernet adapter and being connected (wired) to the internet as I installed 9.10 (today) received updates and the latest kernel as the installation progressed. Then when prompted to remove the installation CD prior to booting I removed the ethernet adapter and the CD then connected the ethernet cable normally to the Laptop, booted and had wired and wireless available.