PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cheap wireless b/g/n usb adapter

anewguy
December 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I was at our local Micro Center store today, and they had Tenda brand model W311U USB wireless b/g/n adapters on sale for $14.99, so I picked one up. It seems to work out of the box - though I have to say that with some caveats: there are no wireless networks for me to connect to here, but when the adapter is plugged in to a USB port, network manager adds the "wireless connections" section but shows as disconnected (assuming therefore that the adapter is working but no wireless networks for me to connect to - go figure - I'm in a *BASEMENT* apartment!). I think it is using one of the built in ralink drivers. A iwconfig with the adapter plugged in shows:

dave@dave-desktop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

ppp0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan3 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=7 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

dave@dave-desktop:~$

Which I take it to mean that wlan3 is active (shows as bgn) just not connected to anything.

So, *if* I'm correct in assuming it's working out of the box, this could be an inexpensive way for someone looking for a wireless adapter.

Just thought I'd pass it along, and hopefully I'm correct in it is actually working.

Dave :)

ikt
December 8th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Heya,

If you can you should add it to this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported#Wireless%20USB%20Adapters

Cheers :)