PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What is beam.smp?

donato roque
December 8th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I have my terminal up and was monitoring processes through htop and I saw something new-beam.smp. I googled it and followed threads in launchpad and in this forum but I just can't get what this process do. Beam.smp is very busy so far.

What does beam.smp do?

ikt
December 8th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I have my terminal up and was monitoring processes through htop and I saw something new-beam.smp. I googled it and followed threads in launchpad and in this forum but I just can't get what this process do. Beam.smp is very busy so far.

What does beam.smp do?

I'm guessing you're running an application that uses couchdb, and beam.smp is apart of it.

What it does, I'm not 100% sure.

donato roque
December 11th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm guessing you're running an application that uses couchdb, and beam.smp is apart of it.

What it does, I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you.

Neva
October 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
There's a thread on reducing beam.smp's cpu and memory usage here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1584326

To fix, go to System > Preferences > Broadcast Preferences. Untick 'start service at login'. Restart computer. The process beam.smp is now only using 10.3MB of memory at startup on my system.

Seems that gwibber's use of couchdb needs tweaking. Saw in the bug report that this was fixed in Ubuntu 10.10 due to switching to another database.

fabio.hipolito
March 3rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Sorry this is solved. I have tried what was proposed and continued to have the same result.

Best regards.