PDA

View Full Version : [kde] So when will KDE4 be mature?

apmcd47
December 8th, 2009, 12:31 AM
We're on what, 4.3? And yet:

Your wallpaper is common to all desktops
Panels HAVE to be added bottom-top-left-right
You cannot add a launcher to a panel which is not already in your menu
Buttons on the panel cannot be positioned
You cannot set Window Manager short cuts, e.g., to raise/lower windows
All the documentation is for KDE 3.x!

Sheesh!

Andrew

Zorael
December 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
You can too have different wallpapers on different desktops. Or rather, you can have independent activities on each, which by extension means independent wallpapers and plasma widget setups. Hit the cashew, zoom out, Configure Plasma, check Different activity for each desktop.

Panels have to be attached to a screen edge, yesh.

You can too add launchers to your panel without them first existing in the menu, but they must exist *somewhere* first. Meaning, you must have a .desktop file created to drag onto the panel. If you create a directory someplace, and then in it create your launchers (such as via Dolphin, right click, Create New -> Link to Application), you can then drag them to your panel(s) as you please.

KWin has a bunch of keyboard shortcuts you can set, including raise/lower, maximize/restore, minimize, set sticky, move window/user to desktop left/right/up/down/[n], activate urgent window, shade window, etc. System Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Global Keyboard Shorcuts. Like where all global shortcuts are kept. Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place, or missed the scrolldown menu to change shortcut component.

But yeah, documentation is old.

apmcd47
December 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
You can too have different wallpapers on different desktops. Or rather, you can have independent activities on each, which by extension means independent wallpapers and plasma widget setups. Hit the cashew, zoom out, Configure Plasma, check Different activity for each desktop.
Okay, start from basics - WTF is a cashew? Is it that ugly gnome-footprint thing in the top right corner? All the above to replace a radio button?

Panels have to be attached to a screen edge, yesh.
That's not what I have a problem with. My problem is with the fact that to get one on the left edge I have to create one on the top then one on the left edge. And then I need to delete one! All for the want of a submenu saying "top bottom left right".

You can too add launchers to your panel without them first existing in the menu, but they must exist *somewhere* first. Meaning, you must have a .desktop file created to drag onto the panel. If you create a directory someplace, and then in it create your launchers (such as via Dolphin, right click, Create New -> Link to Application), you can then drag them to your panel(s) as you please.
Isn't that a KDE2 trick that you no longer needed in KDE3? In other words, a retrograde step?

And it's not obvious that you can do that.

KWin has a bunch of keyboard shortcuts you can set, including raise/lower, maximize/restore, minimize, set sticky, move window/user to desktop left/right/up/down/[n], activate urgent window, shade window, etc. System Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Global Keyboard Shorcuts. Like where all global shortcuts are kept. Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place, or missed the scrolldown menu to change shortcut component.

No, I'd found the right place but looking there now I found there is a KDE component menu which was usefully set to kmix, so I thought that was all I could change. Thanks for making me look!

But yeah, documentation is old.
They could at least put a message at the top of the documentation telling you it's for KDE3.

Another thing missing is the window list on the middle mouse button. Very useful for going quickly not only to a window, but a particular window on a particular desktop. I forgot that in my first post.

Andrew

Zorael
December 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Okay, start from basics - WTF is a cashew? Is it that ugly gnome-footprint thing in the top right corner? All the above to replace a radio button?
Cashews (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew). Picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CashewSnack.jpg). :3

That's not what I have a problem with. My problem is with the fact that to get one on the left edge I have to create one on the top then one on the left edge. And then I need to delete one! All for the want of a submenu saying "top bottom left right".
Wait, what? Try unlocking widgets, clicking the panel cashew, clicking and holding Screen Edge and then drag it to the edge you want it to attach to.

Isn't that a KDE2 trick that you no longer needed in KDE3? In other words, a retrograde step?

And it's not obvious that you can do that.
It's difficult to add both launchers and "drawers", as in folders with more icons in them. Both can be done, but they require manually making directories and .desktop files elsewhere. IIRC, in KDE3 you could just right-click and Create Launcher, but that functionality seems to have yet to hit KDE4.

llawwehttam
December 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
This is why I use Gnome!

apmcd47
December 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Cashews (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew). Picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CashewSnack.jpg). :3
Nuts is what I thought in the first place. The thing in the corner still looks like a deformed gnome footprint.
So I click on the footprint and select "Zoom Out". Then I click on "Create New Activity" and then on the spanner to change the background. Then what? I don't see a "Configure Plasma" option.

Wait, what? Try unlocking widgets, clicking the panel cashew, clicking and holding Screen Edge and then drag it to the edge you want it to attach to. First thing I tried. I ended up having to create a second one and delete the first.

Andrew

Zorael
December 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
See attachments.

apmcd47
December 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks for that - a grab widget cunningly disguised as a regular button, eh? Who would have thought of that? If you click on it it brings up some size gadgets, doesn't it?

When I found my menu didn't look like yours in the picture I checked the version of KDE. As it's a recently released distro (not Ubuntu - this is work-related) I expected it to have KDE 4.3 or later - actually it's 4.2.4! :cry:

One thing I have discovered: Right-click on the K menu and you can change it to the "traditional" menu format :twisted:

And I don't care what anyone else calls that thing - it still looks like a deformed Gnome Footprint to me - maybe that's deliberate?:razz:

Andrew

SunnyRabbiera
December 9th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Well truth be told KDE4 is not at its best in Ubuntu, but it is very good in openSUSE 11.2 and Mandriva 2010.0

aveightor
December 9th, 2009, 01:30 AM
http://www.kde.org/documentation/ kde4 manual

http://docs.kde.org/

jrusso2
December 9th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Seems like since 4.2.4 its been pretty mature for me.

Zorael
December 9th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Another thing missing is the window list on the middle mouse button. Very useful for going quickly not only to a window, but a particular window on a particular desktop. I forgot that in my first post.

The only semi-equavilence I've found is the window list plasma widget. It's in the repositories as plasma-widget-windowlist. You can put it on the panel or on the desktop, and then either click it or bind a key to it. I imagine the middle-click button won't work, though, but a keyboard shortcut will.

quazi
January 7th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Is it as of yet possible to customize the desktop right-click menu in KDE4? This was really easy in KDE3.5 and it's pretty incredible that this doesn't seem possible in KDE4.

Zorael
January 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Is it as of yet possible to customize the desktop right-click menu in KDE4? This was really easy in KDE3.5 and it's pretty incredible that this doesn't seem possible in KDE4.
Some basic support for this is in the 4.4 betas.; see attached screenshots for an idea of how it looks in 4.4.b2.

You grab mouse events much like you normally do when setting up keybinds, and then you set what it should do. And as the second one shows, there are other choices than having it spawn a menu. I'm not sure why anyone would want Paste, but hey. :3

Zorael
January 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM
As a follow up;

This functionality is provided by the "Switch window" action visible in one of the screenshots in my previous post.

Also, "Application Launcher" pops up a KDE3 Kicker-like application menu.