PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2 ubuntu versions in grub?

soryu
December 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM
why 2? how or can i remove the old one?
i like 1.

NoaHall
December 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Do you mean different kernel versions? They are different core systems(one is newer). It's a good idea to have at least 2, because one might have problems for you.

LunaticHiatus
December 8th, 2009, 12:31 AM
one does look cleaner but having older kernels available is good in case the latest and greatest kernel also makes your drivers act screwy. There are applications for adjusting how grub looks, I'm not sure what the one for grub 2.0 is though.

soryu
December 8th, 2009, 12:36 AM
thank's guys.

Bradj47
December 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM
one does look cleaner but having older kernels available is good in case the latest and greatest kernel also makes your drivers act screwy. There are applications for adjusting how grub looks, I'm not sure what the one for grub 2.0 is though.

There are applications to do so, but editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst file is easy enough. Just add # marks to the lines that you don't want to show in GRUB. Don't delete them though, because you might want them in the future. If you have trouble figuring things out, copy/paste the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst here and I'll tell you where to add # marks.

D3M0L1$H3
December 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM
If you only use Ubuntu, and it bothers you, just don't look at the menu til it's done =p

73ckn797
December 8th, 2009, 02:20 AM
If you are using Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 here is no "menu.lst" that can be edited. You can get "startupmanager" from Synaptic and it will let you do some changes to the boot menu.

You can also uninstall the earlier kernel through Synaptic and the boot menu will reflect that change.

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM
If using Grub 2 (fresh install of 9.10, for instance) there is no menu.lst, and there are no gui utilities to work with it yet.

Edit files at /etc/default/grub and in /etc/grub.d in order to modify Grub2. Run update-grub to rebuild grub menu.