PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.1 won't load on TC1100 with 160 Gig HD

kevin5135
December 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I just bought an old HP TC1199 tablet PC. Since it did not come with the MS disks I loaded Ubuntu 9.1 on it and I was just starting to figure out all the various bits and pieces when my new 160 Gig hard drive arrived. I switched out the hard drive and now I can't get Ubuntu to load again. I know it is not the drive since I was successful in loading the latest Fedora version with no issues. It's just that I prefer Ubuntu and would like to get back to it.

I specify that the install should erase the entire disk and load Ubuntu on the whole thing. The install goes fine up until the bar hits 56% and then it freezes and i get a message that says:

The installer encountered an error copying the files to the hard disk.
(ermo 5) input/output error
This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. it may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens, to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

The drive is new, I have tried reburning the disk and, as I said, fedora loads fine.

Any suggestions??

lisati
December 8th, 2009, 03:20 AM
<aside>
It's 9.10, not 9.1.
See here:https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/about-ubuntu/C/version-numbers.html
</aside>

anewguy
December 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I'll pass along what it seems is normally said first with such problems:

(1) Check the MD5 sum to be sure the downloaded file is ok

(2) Sounds like you already are, but be sure to burn as an image

(3) Burn the disk at a slower speed (don't ask me why, but this seems to help with a lot of people).

If all of that doesn't solve it, please post back again.

Dave :)

AuntDaisy
January 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM
AFAIK TC1100 can only go up to 120Gb hardrive - mine works with XP tablet (grrr).
Would partioning to 120Gb + rest work?

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/showthread.php?t=34670