PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install a *.package file

joepz
December 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hi, I am still pretty new to Ubuntu, but getting there step by step.
Now I need to install a file/package: ko2009_linux-1.20.x86.package

It didn't 'autorun' when clicking the link on the website, so I downloaded this package (saved it locally). When doubleclicking the file, I get prompted to select an application.
Apparantly a *.package is not associated.
Now what do I do? Associate it with something? How?
Or run it somehow from the terminal?

Help is welcome,
Thanks,
Joep

rubenverweij
December 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hi Joep,

I don't really know what a .package file is, but are you sure the package isn't available via the Software Center?
Otherwise, you could try to execute this command in a terminal to determine what kind of file it is:

file -i *.package
Then we might be able to determine what kind of file it is.

Hope this helped.

achase79
December 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
.package files are usually a self-installing file using autopackage. you must execute this file in terminal to install and usually you need an active link to the internet.

joepz
December 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hi Joep,

I don't really know what a .package file is, but are you sure the package isn't available via the Software Center?
Otherwise, you could try to execute this command in a terminal to determine what kind of file it is:

file -i *.packageThen we might be able to determine what kind of file it is.

Hope this helped.

Hi, this is the response:
joep@joep-desktop:~/Downloads$ file -i ko2009_linux-1.20.x86.package
ko2009_linux-1.20.x86.package: text/x-shellscript; charset=binary

Familiar to you?

It is definitely not in the software center. It is a package provided by Dutch tax regulator to fill out for a refund related to child day-care costs. Pretty 'exotic' :p

Thanks,
Joep

joepz
December 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM
.package files are usually a self-installing file using autopackage. you must execute this file in terminal to install and usually you need an active link to the internet.

Okay, how would I execute this in terminal? What command?
Is an active link to the internet something special?
It is supposed to run on the internet when clicking the link. But then everything froze.

Cheers,
Joep

joepz
December 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM

It worked!!!

:guitar:

I googled autopackage and followed these instructions:
http://www.autopackage.org/howtoinstall.html

Thanks a mil!
:p
Joep