PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Pidgin and Facebook

Thrasonic
December 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone. I know there's a plugin for FB in Pidgin, and I installed it, but it's not working. I'm getting the Captcha pop-up. I've read some things online and have found this link to get the latest version of the plugin, only I have no idea how to install it once I download it. There isn't enough newbie help on the web site to guide me. Can someone help?

http://code.google.com/p/pidgin-facebookchat/

5BallJuggler
December 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hi everyone. I know there's a plugin for FB in Pidgin, and I installed it, but it's not working. I'm getting the Captcha pop-up. I've read some things online and have found this link to get the latest version of the plugin, only I have no idea how to install it once I download it. There isn't enough newbie help on the web site to guide me. Can someone help?

http://code.google.com/p/pidgin-facebookchat/

Click on this link.
http://pidgin-facebookchat.googlecode.com/files/pidgin-facebookchat-1.64.deb, do not open, save it to a folder on your PC.

when it is downloaded, open it with GDebi package installer.

Once finished, it should work.
I did have to disable the account first then re-enable (all on pidgin)

Hope this helps.
Phil

Thrasonic
December 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Excellent info Phil! It totally worked. So a .deb file is like a .exe in Windows apparently. I didn't know that or I wouldn't have asked for help on how to install it. Silly me. Thanks.

putu.sundika
December 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Excellent info Phil! It totally worked. So a .deb file is like a .exe in Windows apparently. I didn't know that or I wouldn't have asked for help on how to install it. Silly me. Thanks.

i'ved easy installed pidgin-facebook through sypnatic on ubuntu 9.04.
Don't you think it disconnect every minute ? although better than FB via web.

3rdalbum
December 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Excellent info Phil! It totally worked. So a .deb file is like a .exe in Windows apparently.

No, nothing like it, actually. A ".exe" is a Windows program. Every program on your Windows system is a ".exe". A ".deb" is not a program - it's a package that the system can use to install a program.

madnessjack
December 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Nah, more like a .msi file. Deb files are packages that install applications, including registering programs (although I suppose an .exe file can do this :P )

Thrasonic
December 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Okay, that makes sense to me. Thanks for the info.

soad6
December 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Ok i know this is probably already been solved or maybe has no solution... but i run ubuntu 9.10 with pidgin 2.6.3 and the facebook plugin 1.60 -1.1 and when i try to log on i get a SSL handshake and get booted from facebooks webpage and not allowed to access the FB messenger through pidgin... i dont know if this is a resolved problem by the fix above but ive tried to re install the FB plugin and i still get the same issue. And i guess i could always just keep using facebook's website to message but it just seems pointless when i have all my other messengers on pidgin already. Thanx to anyone with a quick working solution to this little issue.](*,) i've seemed to hit a wall that i can't get around, guess id better find a sledge hammer!

ssdt
December 11th, 2009, 03:02 AM
why can't i just install it? there seems to be some dependency problem that i face all the time.