PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I hate ubuntu 9.10, i want out.

Rave Gloves
December 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I would like to return to 9.04, i like 9.10's features. Runs slick and looks nice. But it is not stable enough, i left windows a year ago for a more stable Operating system and i got that [almost] with 9.04 had a few problems when i was starting but i did like the system. With 9.10 on the other hand i am not impressed. It has broke 3 times on me with the grub. I set it to security only updates and i still get the grub updates and they just ***** up my file system. I have had help from here and nothing seems to fix it. I want to know if i can downgrade to 9.04 from the boot disk for 9.10 which im using to get on here now. I dont think i have any blank disks around so is there an altern way to get this done. its really pissing me off /rage

halitech
December 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
the only feasible way to "downgrade" is to format and start over again by re-installing. If you have a seperate /home folder then this will be easy.

Did you upgrade from 9.04 or did you do a fresh install of 9.10?

Merk42
December 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Well we could try and fix those issues, could you link to those threads?
As for downgrading without a CD, the only other way I know of is with a USB drive (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick)

snowpine
December 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I would like to return to 9.04, i like 9.10's features. Runs slick and looks nice. But it is not stable enough, i left windows a year ago for a more stable Operating system and i got that [almost] with 9.04 had a few problems when i was starting but i did like the system. With 9.10 on the other hand i am not impressed. It has broke 3 times on me with the grub. I set it to security only updates and i still get the grub updates and they just ***** up my file system. I have had help from here and nothing seems to fix it. I want to know if i can downgrade to 9.04 from the boot disk for 9.10 which im using to get on here now. I dont think i have any blank disks around so is there an altern way to get this done. its really pissing me off /rage

Hi Rave Gloves, you will need either a blank CD or a USB thumb drive for the 9.04 installer (you can't install 9.04 using the 9.10 installer, I think you already knew that). If you can't afford either, Canonical will send you a CD for free!

Ubuntu 9.10 is by no means a "stable" operating system (it's based on Debian Unstable), especially since they've introduced major new features like Grub 2. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way. I would recommend sticking with the LTS (long term support; currently 8.04) releases if stability is your #1 concern.

I bet, however, that if you are patient and ask the right questions, you'll be able to fix the grub problem and enjoy 9.10. Good luck!

zkriesse
December 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Could you possible explain as to what issues you're having? Most likely it's something that could be resolved or at least I would hope that to be the case as Ubuntu 9.10 is very stable now. Please link to any threads you might have unanswered and or need help with as I'd be more than happy to help you with them.

zkriesse
December 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hi Rave Gloves, you will need either a blank CD or a USB thumb drive for the 9.04 installer (you can't install 9.04 using the 9.10 installer, I think you already knew that). If you can't afford either, Canonical will send you a CD for free!

Ubuntu 9.10 is by no means a "stable" operating system (it's based on Debian Unstable), especially since they've introduced major new features like Grub 2. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way. I would recommend sticking with the LTS (long term support; currently 8.04) releases if stability is your #1 concern.

I bet, however, that if you are patient and ask the right questions, you'll be able to fix the grub problem and enjoy 9.10. Good luck!

Ah, 9.10 is pretty stable. You're right about the Grub but still...it's stable... :)

Rave Gloves
December 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1336769

this was the tread that was made and i followed it all correctly.

I think the grub is just a bit, sensitive. and just likes to kill your system ):

zkriesse
December 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Do you use xchat? If so please tell me.

Rave Gloves
December 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
^ Remember im limited to what i can do, im on the "Try ubuntu" on the boot disk.

bodhi.zazen
December 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Unfortuinately there is no easy way to downgrade.

Your options are to either fix your problems, or back up your data and re-install.

One suggestion moving forward, use a data partition for, well data, and multiple partitions to multiboot.

Rave Gloves
December 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Unfortuinately there is no easy way to downgrade.

Your options are to either fix your problems, or back up your data and re-install.

One suggestion moving forward, use a data partition for, well data, and multiple partitions to multiboot.

I will try to fix them, im getting help as we speak, and about the partition with my home folder, i was told about this on the 2nd break of the grub. I wasnt to sure how to go ahead with it so i just left it thinking my system would be fine for good this time.

Rave Gloves
December 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Well, we seem to think the disk i first used had an error and its just been broke since day one beacuse of this. I have a few problems.

The disks still wont burn correctly, i have used a diffrent ISO burner with a 1x speed, a new iso downloaded from ubuntu.com and brand new cd's. Still the disk ether has an error or when i go to check the disk on boot, they screen goes black and thats it.

Any sugestions this is very annoying, i really dont want to go through more disks.

Edit: tried another disk, gave me an "unable to boot cd" error whenever i tried to load any feature on the live boot screen

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
If you can get grub working correctly again, you can lock it to it's current version to prevent any more updates to it. (The same goes for any problematic packages)

Rave Gloves
December 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
If you can get grub working correctly again, you can lock it to it's current version to prevent any more updates to it. (The same goes for any problematic packages)

Yes but my system will still be pretty much broke as the disk seemed to have an error when i first installed, what im trying to do now is burn a working disk to back up my memory from my partion. There seems to be an error on all disks i burn and it wont allow me to get root access to be able to copy the files onto an external HD.

t0p
December 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
If you've got a good .iso image and you're still burning bad CDs, the issue is with your CD drive. Have you checked the integrity of your .iso? If it's good, you'll need to use another computer to burn the CD.

An alternative approach: you can run a live session ("try Ubuntu") from a 9.10 disk, right? There is an option to put Ubuntu onto a USB stick (I think it's called a "start up" stick or something similar). If the issue is with your CD drive, maybe transferring the .iso to a USB stick and installing from that will work.

EDIT:

it wont allow me to get root access to be able to copy the files onto an external HD.

What do you mean, it "won't let you get root access"? What exactly are you doing to try and get root access? And what exactly is happening to stop you?

The_Pirate_King
December 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Well we could try and fix those issues, could you link to those threads?
As for downgrading without a CD, the only other way I know of is with a USB drive (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick)
In my personal opinion using a USB drive to install is tricky and not worth it, it's better just to create another live CD, the live CD is a great tool to have as you can boot off it even if you have no HDD [as I am doing now]

Merk42
December 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
In my personal opinion using a USB drive to install is tricky and not worth it, it's better just to create another live CD, the live CD is a great tool to have as you can boot off it even if you have no HDD [as I am doing now]
But considering originally the person asked how to do it without a CD I suggested USB.

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
@The_Pirate_King: Tricky? You use the provided tool, point it to your flash drive and iso, and tell it to go. Done. I do this all the time. Boots far faster than the CD, and you can even have it store data (settings, upgrades, whatever) to the flash drive.

Rave Gloves
December 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I will need to find a diffrent laptop then, i dont think i have any black Disks ether, so this may prove a problem. I will go on a look for another laptop. and report back to this thread if it worked. Also Putting it on a usb stick with a disk that has errors would still give me an iso with errors, am i right?

t0p
December 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I will need to find a diffrent laptop then, i dont think i have any black Disks ether, so this may prove a problem. I will go on a look for another laptop. and report back to this thread if it worked. Also Putting it on a usb stick with a disk that has errors would still give me an iso with errors, am i right?

You said that the disk had errors, but that you had downloaded a good .iso. If you have a good .iso, you can put it on a USB stick and it will be still good. When you transfer an .iso to a flash stick, it does not involve physical burning. So a good .iso transferred to a flash stick will be good.

EDIT: Check the integrity of the .iso, as explained here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM).

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Once the LiveCD iso is burned (or imaged to a USB drive) you'll be able to test it's integrity from the menu that appears when you boot it.

running_rabbit07
December 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Normally I would recommend using unetbootin, but it doesn't work with grub 2, yet. I recommend getting Jaunty back on there if possible. Karmic still has too many bugs for a production system.

Rave Gloves
December 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Integrity of the iso is fine, I think i will indeed get jaunty back. Before i go doing anything. If i live boot with jaunty cd. I will still be able to Access my partion and get my data?

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
unetbootin can also download iso's itself. I unsure if you can have it download certain versions of distro's, though.

edit: Rave, yes you can.

running_rabbit07
December 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Yes, you should be able to do that. I would make a /home during the next install. It will make life much easier in the future.

Rave Gloves
December 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Yes, you should be able to do that. I would make a /home during the next install. It will make life much easier in the future.

How is it i would go about this?, When the partion screen comes up make one there?

Rave Gloves
December 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I cant seem where to download Jaunty, Ubuntu.com only has 9.10 and 8.04.

running_rabbit07
December 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
How is it i would go about this?, When the partion screen comes up make one there?

Yes. Make one partition of about 8-10 gigs for / and one partition as big as you want for /home, and a 1-2 gig swap partition.

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Jaunty: http://releases.ubuntu.com/jaunty/

wojox
December 8th, 2009, 10:55 PM
http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/

t0p
December 8th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Info here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome) on how to make yourself a separate home directory during installation of Ubuntu.

grief -l
December 8th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Yes but my system will still be pretty much broke as the disk seemed to have an error when i first installed, what im trying to do now is burn a working disk to back up my memory from my partion. There seems to be an error on all disks i burn and it wont allow me to get root access to be able to copy the files onto an external HD.

I burned about a dozen .iso's on CD-RWs and none of them worked. Burned on CD-R and every one of them worked first time.

Sylslay
December 8th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I back to Juanty today , it's faster on my laptop.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

here is how install (in windows BTW, but is descripton for linux )
and make boot USB Drive:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-904-persistent-install-windows/

I think that Kramic is much more improve since realisce but juanty is better in my case.

Had 1200 point in glxgears in Karmic,
Have 1600 point in Juanty now,

but youtube movie are beter whan I play them in Karmic and firefox 3,55, no chooping on full sceen.
Back to Juanty after testing Karmic since alpha6 and waiting for 10.4

8.04 is good for my hardwere,
8.10 coludn.t switch on,
9.04 is good for my hardere
9.10 is just ok,
10.04 will be good?;)

Rave Gloves
December 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I back to Juanty today , it's faster on my laptop.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

here is how install (in windows BTW, but is descripton for linux )
and make boot USB Drive:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-904-persistent-install-windows/

I think that Kramic is much more improve since realisce but juanty is better in my case.

Had 1200 point in glxgears in Karmic,
Have 1600 point in Juanty now,

but youtube movie are beter whan I play them in Karmic and firefox 3,55, no chooping on full sceen.
Back to Juanty after testing Karmic since alpha6 and waiting for 10.4

8.04 is good for my hardwere,
8.10 coludn.t switch on,
9.04 is good for my hardere
9.10 is just ok,
10.04 will be good?;)

Thanks for the links, i will check it out when im back from work. And about 10.04 hopefully it will be great, its lts so hopefully it will be good (:

m4tic
December 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Is there a way to install the old grub not the new grub

Rave Gloves
December 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Is there a way to install the old grub not the new grub

I dont think im going to bother, we suspect it was the disk drive in an old laptop i use to burn the disks, it may have had an error on the disk and my system has slowly got worse, im happy with 9.04, i just need to find another laptop to burn the disk OR do it on a USB stick.

Sylslay
December 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-9-04-flash-drive-install-from-cd/

or you go to Softwere centre in 9.10 , type 'unetbootin', install ubuntu*.iso on usb key,

Rave Gloves
December 9th, 2009, 05:55 PM
For some reason this is taking up more than 2gigs, i found a 2 gig memory stick and when i try to extract onto the memory stick its using it all up ):

Rave Gloves
December 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Update, i found how to boot the usb, but when i do it comes up

"could not find Kernel "linux""

Dose this mean the ISO in the usb isnt right?

nothingspecial
December 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
As long as you have an iso image of 9.04 I would recommend formatting the usb stick to Fat32 first.

I`ve had problems in the past when trying to do this without doing that in the past.

TheLoneHoot
December 15th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hope this isn't too OT but...

...I also want to "downgrade" from Karmic back to Jaunty. I have the actual 9.04 CD from Canonical. The problem is, I'm such a neophyte that I don't even know how to get it to boot from the CD! :oops:

I put the CD in and restart the machine, but it boots right to the 9.10 login screen. Someone told me to either hold down or press F8 (or F10) while restarting to get to a boot menu, but no combinations of key presses worked at all.

Do I have to reformat my HDD to get it to boot from the CD? I don't mind doing this if necessary as I have backed up my files, etc., and I'm not running any other OS (not a dual boot set up, etc.).

sports fan Matt
December 15th, 2009, 12:38 AM
On my lenovo machine it's F12..Could that be a possibility?

mikewhatever
December 15th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Karmic rules.:twisted::-P There is no escape.

Fidelio
December 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Hope this isn't too OT but...

...I also want to "downgrade" from Karmic back to Jaunty. I have the actual 9.04 CD from Canonical. The problem is, I'm such a neophyte that I don't even know how to get it to boot from the CD! :oops:

I put the CD in and restart the machine, but it boots right to the 9.10 login screen. Someone told me to either hold down or press F8 (or F10) while restarting to get to a boot menu, but no combinations of key presses worked at all.

Do I have to reformat my HDD to get it to boot from the CD? I don't mind doing this if necessary as I have backed up my files, etc., and I'm not running any other OS (not a dual boot set up, etc.).
You don't need to reformat to boot from the CD. You just need to get into the BIOS to choose the boot options. Sometimes it's F8, sometimes is del sometimes its something else. Depends on your motherboard.

Geoff918
December 15th, 2009, 01:39 AM
It's usually going to be one of the F-keys or ESC or DEL.

When your system first turns on most BIOS will have something on the screen somewhere that says "Setup Options" or something to that effect. Maybe even Boot Selection. :)

running_rabbit07
December 15th, 2009, 01:45 AM
My HP laptops are F2. My Dell Desktop is F12. And my Lenovo Desktop is F12.

slimjimmy23
December 15th, 2009, 01:48 AM
You have to set your BIOS to boot from the CD instead of going straight to the OS, usually to get the BIOS you press F2 or F8 or F12, etc. immediately after turning on the computer.

running_rabbit07
December 15th, 2009, 01:50 AM
You can ussually just go to the boot menu if you are doing this for a one time thing. If you plan to boot from CD often, then you may want to make the change in bios.

slimjimmy23
December 15th, 2009, 01:53 AM
December 5th,2009, Metallica made my ears bleed in Las Vegas!

Thats strange, I saw Kiss live in Houston on the 5th, my ears rang for 2 days :D

User3k
December 15th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I was having a lot of issues with Ubuntu 9.10. I was thinking of just going to 9.04 or just using Suse 11.2 only. But I decided to try one more thing before I gave up. I installed Xubuntu 9.10 and that, so far, is working out great. So I am sticking with that one for now even though my hardware can handle much more.

running_rabbit07
December 15th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Thats strange, I saw Kiss live in Houston on the 5th, my ears rang for 2 days :D

Mine rang for days also. My left ear actually bled. Next time I am taking a box of ear plugs to sell. There were people who brought there kids and left early because it was too loud.

slimjimmy23
December 15th, 2009, 04:29 AM
My ears have only bled once and that was when I was in the same room as my little cousin watching some crap on Disney channel.

cartisdm
December 15th, 2009, 04:32 AM
My ears have only bled once and that was when I was in the same room as my little cousin watching some crap on Disney channel.

Dude, don't hate on the Disney channel, that's where Miley Cyrus got her start!

....wait, you do like Hannah Montana right?

TheLoneHoot
December 15th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Wait, what was this thread about again? :lol:

Well, I tried all those keys, and ESC seemed to get me into a menu, but it was a menu that only offered various versions of the 9.10 kernel.:confused:

So for whatever reason I don't think mine is going to let me boot from the CD with 9.10 installed (which completely doesn't make any sense, but I don't see any evidence to the contrary either). So if I just want to remove 9.10 first, what would you recommend that would allow me to do that and still boot 9.04 from the CD (to install 9.04)?

And I know this sounds completely stooopyd, but remember this is "Absolute Beginner Talk" help, so is there a simple (non-malicious) command to reformat the drive or whatever? Sorry for the Uber-n00ber questions, but I'm not really a computer guy (in fact that's part of why I am trying to stay with Ubuntu - to not have to deal with a lot of breakdowns like Windows - which right now is feeling pretty ironic).

TheLoneHoot
December 15th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Well, no reply may be necessary to my question/situation. Then again...

...can't tell yet but...

...for now, the problems I was having with 9.10 (video playback in FF 3.5.5) seem to have inexplicably cleared up. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I didn't make any changes (that I'm aware of) or tweak any settings since the last time I posted or rebooted (okay, rebooting was SEVERAL times), but it seems to be completely fixed.

Weird. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks to everyone trying to help. I appreciate the true "Ubuntu" spirit when others try to pitch in to help a guy like me. :D