PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless symbol

Cardale
December 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
What does the little wireless computer symbol mean in the list of available wireless networks? None of the other available networks have that symbol. I would show you a picture if I could, but the print screen program seems to be limited when menu items are being displayed.

diablo75
December 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
What does the little wireless computer symbol mean in the list of available wireless networks? None of the other available networks have that symbol. I would show you a picture if I could, but the print screen program seems to be limited when menu items are being displayed.

It's either a Infrustructure type wireless network, or an Ad-Hoc network... I think that's what the icon your refering to is supposed to be depicting. By the way, the Take Screenshot utility has the option of using a countdown timer, so you can set it for like 5 or 10 seconds, click on the menu, then wait for it to do its thing.

chili555
December 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
In my example attached, the bars give a rough idea of the signal strength; I would have trouble connecting and staying connected to two bars. The little padlock indicates some kind of encryption, WEP, WPA, etc. is in place. The one in bold, GBR1 in my case, is the one currently connected.

Cardale
December 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Here is the image just to clarify.