PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution and general help

Danwhelan
December 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi there

I've recently moved from windows ubuntu to a full installation of what sounds like a mentally well balanced Koala 9.1, but am having some problems... probably caused by me looking at things through win colored glasses :-) I seem to steam through some parts, then get stuck on something that is genuinely basic

Having said that I seem to be getting on alright... but I did think that once windows 3.1 appeared I'd never see a command line interface again :-(

My two problems at the moment are.

Evolution mail - nice program, I used to use Thunderbird on windows for a while... I have my old messages backed up in EML folder format... in as much as I've the file system there, inbox, sent, junk etc.

I can't seem to figure out how to get Evolution to accept them or where to put them... there's a lot of posts around about importing Outlook (which is possibly the worst program MS ever made after windows ME) and a few around about bringing in OE dbx files... but nothing about a straight forward folder swap... why do people have to be complicated :-)

The other question is about using barrybackup the GUI for the blackberry. I had a few issues here

Try as I might I could not get the software to appear in the software centre. I added the link correctly, am veiwing all applications... nothing.

I've managed to get it working through the terminal and it seemed to install OK.. and indeed when I found the program in the usr/bin directory... it did start then immediately closed with a "1-,) error sending control message"

I've since discovered that disconnecting the USB will allow the program to stay open, however on rescanning the USB's it then closes.

Aside from that... it seems like a great system... I did have a few problems with wine... but solved them no worries... like I said somethings no problem... others... rrrrrr!

Thanks to anyone who can give me a hand

Danny

lotharmat
December 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
You can get Thunderbird for Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install thunderbird

This will install it

Danwhelan
December 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.... however I'm one of those people that needs to solve the issue before I'll move on to something else... annoying I know..

Thanks though

jotto!
December 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
there are programs to convert eml files in to .mbox which is what I think evolution uses..but im a n00b so I could be wrong....

from google...
http://www.novell.com/documentation/nld/?page=/documentation/nld/evolution/data/outlook-migration.html

lots more on google...

1915flyer
December 7th, 2009, 04:32 PM
If you still have the original Thunderbird files, do a Google on "Thunderbird to Evolution Mail". There are numerous helps there.