PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My Mini Laptop.

.Sam.
December 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Ok, im going to tell you the whole story.
So I was at the store with my brother, and we saw a small laptop with a blue x on it (using it now).

I only know like the basics such as going on the web and wireless connectivity. I have 2 main questions though.

1: I know that my Laptop is using Linux i686, but i want to know why it wont configure flash the right way. When i went on to youtube, i tried to play a video but it didn't work. All there was a box sayng, "Click to play flash." I always click on it but it just flashes. Now, a few weeks later i tried downloading "Adobe flash player" And i downloaded the taz.bz and it will open but nothing happens. The main thing is, How can i run flash for youtube?

2: What is this whole "ubntuzilla" thing, is it a firefox specificly for a linux? Well, im trying to download "firefox" 3.5 but it wont work. Please explain.

-Thanks Alot. Sam.

dream_coder
December 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Could you Provide more details please so that others can help you :)

1)What version of ubuntu are you using? (9.04, 9.10 etc etc)
2)what "mini laptop" did you purchase make model etc?

Firefox is for Windows and Linux, Ubuntzilla is simplya pyhton script allows you to install the latest firefox etc onto your system.

If using 9.04 maybe this guide will help you http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2009/07/15/install-firefox-35-in-ubuntu-904-using-ubuntuzilla/

.Sam.
December 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Could you Provide more details please so that others can help you :)

1)What version of ubuntu are you using? (9.04, 9.10 etc etc)
2)what "mini laptop" did you purchase make model etc?

1: I really dont know. how can i check?
2: What do you mean? All i know is that the color is white and green. and has a blue x on the top.

confused_user
December 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
download the .deb installer for flash

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

there is a drop down menu asking you to select the versarion to download.

the .deb one is a bit like an .exe in windows, you just click on it.

with the .tar.gz one you have to either run the install script or compile it (i cant remember which)

also, people will find it hard to help you if they dont know which version of ubuntu you have since they can all be very different.

if you click on system and then choose about ubuntu it will tell you which version you have :)

dream_coder
December 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
One way to check is to click on System then About Ubuntu, another way is to open a terminal go to Applications then Accessories then Terminal and type in "cat /etc/lsb-release" without the " Which will also tell you.

As Far as your Computer goes there should be a label/sticker underneath it with the make and model etc

Also if there is not then you can go to the terminal as above and type in lspci and post the output here thanks.

.Sam.
December 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
download the .deb installer for flash

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

there is a drop down menu asking you to select the versarion to download.

the .deb one is a bit like an .exe in windows, you just click on it.

with the .tar.gz one you have to either run the install script or compile it (i cant remember which)

also, people will find it hard to help you if they dont know which version of ubuntu you have since they can all be very different.

if you click on system and then choose about ubuntu it will tell you which version you have :)

There is none called .deb, theres only rpm., tar.bz, Yum for linux, and thats all.

confused_user
December 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
there is, i can see it.

it is Ubuntu you are using right?

dream_coder
December 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Just checked there is a .deb at the bottom of the drop down list it says .deb Ubuntu 8.04+ :)

I think we need to find out the info I requested in regards to version etc