PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I really want to use Audacious by default, not "Movie Player..."

AutoDMC
December 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
OK. I've installed Audacious, and I want to use that as default.

I can drag icons onto Audacious, and they will play happily.

I can right click on the icons, pick "Open With...", pick Audacious, and it will play perfectly.

I can right click on the icons, pick "Open With...", pick "Other Application...", pick Audacious2, and hit Open, and it will play.

HOWEVER...

Audacious does NOT show up in the Multimedia Player picker in Preferred Applications.

Putting "/usr/bin/audacious2" in the Command: box and picking "Custom" does not set Audacious as the default. Doubleclicking still opens Movie Player.

Picking Audacious2 out of the "Open With..." > "Other Application..." menu does NOT set Audacious as the default application; the next double click opens Movie Player again.

I really don't want to use Movie Player at all. I prefer Audacious/VLC for my media needs... but as it stands right now I have to pick my favorite application every time (or, more likely: double click, curse, close window, right click, pick application). All the help files I've found so far assume that going the "Open With..." > "Other Application..." route will set default, and it's not for me.

Any help?

Uncle Spellbinder
December 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Right Click the avi (or whatever file it is), click "properties". There should be an option to change the default.

AutoDMC
December 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Shazam!

Thanks! I didn't think to check Right Click -> Properties... although I should have. I've only been using Linux for 5 years...

Uncle Spellbinder
December 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Glad to help. :D