PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hibernate, suspend, sleep?

danw_tx
December 7th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Greetings all,
I'm a new ubuntu user, pretty much new to linux but I do have a few command line skills. I found this website through stumbleupon.

I've got ubuntu 8.10 on a cheapo mini-tower and it runs pretty good except that after a certain period of time, it either hibernates, suspends, sleeps or just plain freezes.

Once it goes into this state, what I see on the monitor is the basic default background of different shades of brown. No task bar or icons or anything else though. And, the machine doesn't respond to any keystrokes I've tried (various combinations of the cntl, shift, and alt keys combined with 'c', 'x', 's').

The only way to get my machine back is to use the on/off button to do a cold-boot. I haven't figured out what the time interval is yet.

Not being that familiar with ubuntu linux, I can't figure whether the machine is suspended, hibernated, or sleeping, or otherwise broke. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any help on figuring out what state the machine is in would help me figure out what to do about it.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
danw

Paqman
December 7th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Go to System > Prefs > Power Management and have a look at the settings, it should show you exactly what your machine should do when. Most likely it'll be set to turn off the display after a short while, then suspend shortly after. Some hardware does have trouble suspending and resuming nicely on Ubuntu.