PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [VMware 7 + Guest Ubuntu 9.10] extra mouse buttons don't work

Flake Remix
December 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hello guys.

Previously in such cases I just altered xorg.conf and changed mouse protocol from "ps/2" to "imps/2". Since there is no xorg.conf by default, I may be wrong with mouse identifier, either "Configured Mouse" is wrong one or I'm missing something else. xev reacts on all the buttons, even the wheel, but not those two side buttons. This is my mouse:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2nrones.jpg (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=086)

So I have created a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf and put this into it, nothing else:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
EndSection

Buttons worked fine with older Ubuntu 7.04, well, because I could always alter xorg.conf.

Flake Remix
December 14th, 2009, 12:26 AM
bump?

Flake Remix
March 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Ok, I purchased another mouse:

http://i47.tinypic.com/28tuulk.jpg (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/5845&cl=us,en)

I still can't get back/forward buttons working :( Anyone out there using Ubuntu as a guest OS in VMware?

fjgaude
March 8th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hey, the last time I had to do anything to get my multi-buttom mouse to work correctly I had this in the xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
EndSection

I've not had to do this for a long time, since maybe 8.04.

Good luck!

dcstar
March 8th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I still can't get back/forward buttons working :( Anyone out there using Ubuntu as a guest OS in VMware?

I assume you have these packages installed:

xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
xserver-xorg-video-vmware

as well as VMware tools running on the client?

fjgaude
March 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I have Ubuntu 10.4 running in Player 3.0.1... the back and forward mouse buttons don't work. I'm going to leave it as is until the release in late April.

As host, 9.10 works fine with the mouse buttons. Haven't tried it with a VMware guest.

Flake Remix
April 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hey, the last time I had to do anything to get my multi-buttom mouse to work correctly I had this in the xorg.conf file:

That doesn't work, xev still doesn't print any events from extra buttons.

I assume you have these packages installed:

xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
xserver-xorg-video-vmware

as well as VMware tools running on the client?

Yes, all these are installed. I can drug'n'drop files and copy-paste between host and guest os.

Flake Remix
April 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Damn, in 10.04 buttons don't work either :(

Flake Remix
April 30th, 2010, 01:11 AM
bump

MortenCB
May 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM
I also have this problem. Would love to get my Logitech G5 mouse to work, including the thumb-button.

Out of the box, it works with scrolling, but I would really love for the thumb-button to work as well...

Preformed Cone
June 24th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Add:

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

to your ubuntu .vmx file.

vandi423
December 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM
First time Ubuntu user. Was having the same problem under VMware with my MX Revolution.

Adding:

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

to my ubuntu .vmx file did the trick. Thanks!

viljoviitanen
April 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Please mark this thread solved, mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" did the trick for me too! Vmware workstation 7 on Windows 7 host, Ubuntu 10.10 guest.

hardnrg
May 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to Preformed Cone, this also worked for me, using Win7 host, VMware Workstation 7, Ubuntu 11.04, and a Logitech M510 (wireless with 7 buttons: i.e. 2 sides and tilt-wheel in addition to standard left, right, middle and scrollwheel)

This fix gives me the back/forward default action in Firefox from the side buttons... it doesn't make the tilt-wheel work, but I really don't care about that... it's just the back/forward functionality that I want and need

nice :)\\:D/

vitalitytri
January 31st, 2012, 04:57 AM
Fixed my problem as well, thanks very much!