PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet Access and Possible Port Problems

Reavus
December 6th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hi, just a general networking question. I've had this problem before and I couldn't solve it on a previous forum I was on and I was hoping to see if I could resolve it here.

I have just moved from Linux Mint and I'm trying my hand at ubuntu 9.10. Since it's pretty fresh, there is a fair bit of software I want to install which requires access to the internet. Here is my problem...

At the moment, I rely heavily on the university that I am attending for my internet access. I can log on to the network with no problems and browse the web. The only problem I have run into is when I run programs like the terminal or the software manager that can require access to the internet (like when you want to install something using terminal you do the whole "sudo -apt get *" thing). I can't use these applications to access the internet.

My current theory is that the proxy the uni uses has certain ports blocked(you know, to stop us playing online games like WOW) but allows the ports that the browsers use to listen in on open so that we can access the internet on our laptop computers. I'm assuming that applications like terminal listen in on a different port.

I'm probably wrong but it seems to make sense. I just wanna know if its possible to get the terminal to listen in on the same port as the browsers if this is indeed the problem. Or if there is some network setting I'm missing in linux im open to suggestions.

Thanks guys!

headvampyre@hotmail.co.uk
December 6th, 2009, 11:08 AM
try this thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=751082