PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Power management broken using startx

galatians
December 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I decided to disable GDM and just start X from the command line using the startx command.

This works great and X starts up into gnome with openbox as my WM.

Everything seems to work great except for the power options. When I close my laptop lid the screen turns on but when I open it again it doesn't come back on so I have to reboot to get it back.

Also when I select Suspend or Hibernate from the gnome menu it just locks the screen.

Any ideas? I specifically installed Ubuntu instead of Gentoo specifically because I knew that power management would work great.

Greenwidth
December 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Do you have a swap partition or swap file?

galatians
December 6th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Actually I don't have a swap partition or swap file. I have loads of RAM I decided against one. I've been using Linux a long time and never ran out of memory.

Note that suspend, hibernate and closing the lid works perfectly as expected when I login using GDM.

Thanks.

Greenwidth
December 6th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Strange. It might be worth adding a swapfile to be sure, you can always remove it afterwards if it doesn't help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq#How%20do%20I%20add%20more%20swap?

galatians
December 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Why would adding a swap file fix it when it works perfectly using GDM but it doesn't work from startx?

falconindy
December 6th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Create an .xinitrc file in your home directory. Add the following line to it:

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

galatians
December 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Create an .xinitrc file in your home directory. Add the following line to it:

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

Thanks so much, that worked perfectly.

It really is incredible to me how people like you know these perfect 1 line fixes to weird problems. I'm used to getting to the bottom of issues in Gentoo but the Ubuntu Gnome world is a huge maze for me.

falconindy
December 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks so much, that worked perfectly.

It really is incredible to me how people like you know these perfect 1 line fixes to weird problems. I'm used to getting to the bottom of issues in Gentoo but the Ubuntu Gnome world is a huge maze for me.
Meh. I don't even use Gnome anymore. You learn an awful lot in a short time when you try to break Arch on a daily basis.