PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Missing Shutdown Button in Kickoff Application Launcher

zggame
December 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I used to use gnome in 9.0.4 and I update to 9.10. I have a 1366x768 screen and I would like to put the taskbar/launcher on the left. Gnome has that option, but it keeps freezing on me and really not cut for it. I have added KDE desktop afterward and it works much better. One weird thing is that I cannot find a shutdown button. I have logoff/lock/switch user/sleep/hibernate in the leave section. But no shutoff. I do see one in the lancelot launcher. I can use the "sudo shutdown -P now" though, but it is a bit annoying.

bailout
December 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
If you have installed kubuntu over ubuntu then you are probably logging in via gdm? It is a while since I have had both installed but I seem to remember that shutdown only appeared in the desktop related to your logon manager. Try searching for installing and swapping to kdm instead of gdm.

Zorael
December 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Yes, neither gdm/KDE nor kdm/GNOME combinations seem to work to satisfaction. The upstream KDE bug report is here (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214654), if you want to comment on it (and vote for it to get attention).

engelp
February 25th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I followed the bug link but even saying it is resolved i couldnt find a workaround any sugestions?
Should when installing kde-desktop prefer kdm if it is going to be my default desktop?

Thanks

WinterMadness
February 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

do that, pick KDM.

I think that might work.

vys
December 1st, 2010, 09:33 PM
I had the same problem and ^ that was the solution.