PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with starting gtk-using programs

Mentosfresser
December 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone,
In Google there were nothing that solve this, so i ask here.
as the topic says, i have a problem with starting some programs. For example pidgin, synaptic, inkscape and gimp. The first three give the follow Errormessage in a shell:

symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gdk_threads_add_idle

with gimp i get this:

gimp: symbol lookup error: gimp: undefined symbol: pango_version_check
I am using Kubuntu 9.04. It worked before, but i tryed to compile and install gtk and pango (at gtk i failed with make, but pango was successfull installed). I think thats the problem.

Thanks for help :)
Pascal

Tomatz
December 5th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hi everyone,
In Google there were nothing that solve this, so i ask here.
as the topic says, i have a problem with starting some programs. For example pidgin, synaptic, inkscape and gimp. The first three give the follow Errormessage in a shell:

symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gdk_threads_add_idle

with gimp i get this:

gimp: symbol lookup error: gimp: undefined symbol: pango_version_check
I am using Kubuntu 9.04. It worked before, but i tryed to compile and install gtk and pango (at gtk i failed with make, but pango was successfull installed). I think thats the problem.

Thanks for help :)
Pascal

Correct! I suddenly had a failing xsane plugin in gimp. Running xsane at the terminal gave me the same symbol error described in this forum. Deleting an older version of libgobject (libgobject-2.0*) in /usr/local/lib and keeping the newer one in /usr/lib fixed this problem!

Correct! I suddenly had a failing xsane plugin in gimp. Running xsane at the terminal gave me the same symbol error described in this forum. Deleting an older version of libgobject (libgobject-2.0*) in /usr/local/lib and keeping the newer one in /usr/lib fixed this problem!

Definitely wanted to post this feedback as googling even part of:

"xsane: relocation error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_object_compat_control"

..brought up only FOUR pages, this one being one of them. Thanks!

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/symbol-lookup-error-usrliblibgtk-x11.2.0.so.0-undefined-symbol...-434399/

Hope it helps :)

Mentosfresser
December 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Weeheew thx Tomatz,
after deleting one library, getting a new error, deleting another library, getting another new eror, deleting another library it finally worked ^.^
Thx for fast reply, the next time i only use parts of the errormessage on google Oo

MfG Pascal

oh and thx again ^^