PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Install last Abiword in Xubuntu?

juanmafreelance
December 1st, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hi! I'm sorry with my english! i am spanish.

I have installed Xubuntu in a laptop very old (512 ram, 1.4ghz).

It is posible install the last version of Abiword? I try to import a .doc document, and the tables see different and bad, in Microsoft Word it is see well. It is produced by the version of AbyWord? The version is 2.6.8?

If I install the last version, it is more big? more slow?

How Can I install the last version?

Thanks!

Sir Jasper
December 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi,

I have Xubuntu 9.04 and AbiWord 2.6.6 and it will open the only .doc file I have.

If I try to Import it into AbiWord nothing happens.

You could perhaps try opening it in Open Office writer.

My regards

Daniel1994
December 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
http://abisource.com/wiki/Install_on_Ubuntu#Easy_Install

to install the latest Abiword.

However, if this doesn't work, you should try open office.

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-writer

TOO LATE ;)

juanmafreelance
December 1st, 2009, 10:59 PM
Oh Thanks.

Open Office is more big and slow than Abiword, is it true?

Sir Jasper
December 1st, 2009, 11:13 PM
Hi,

Yes Open Office is much bigger than AbiWord.

In your current AbiWord click Help, then, Check for Updates, then follow the Ubuntu links until you see:

Install AbiWord

If you don't already have the Ubuntu version of AbiWord installed, use Applications, Add/Remove Programs to install it, or click here to install AbiWord automatically.

Hope this helps.

juanmafreelance
December 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM
Oh thanks you.

One question more.

The new version of Abyword is more bigger than old? or the last version is faster than the old version?

my regards

wilee-nilee
December 1st, 2009, 11:41 PM
Which distribution of Xububtu do you have installed? How much extra open HD space do you have?

It seems your concerned about size, Open office can be tweaked to open fast and offers much more then abiword, but abiword does have the ability to save thinks in a nonformatted way. I have both for various reasons.

Sir Jasper
December 1st, 2009, 11:42 PM
Hi,

I do not know but it is probably a little bigger and it is most unlikely to be slower.

With 512MB of RAM you should be fine (especially with a swap file or partition), but are you low on hard drive space?

My regards

juanmafreelance
December 1st, 2009, 11:53 PM
http://abisource.com/wiki/Install_on_Ubuntu#Easy_Install

to install the latest Abiword.

However, if this doesn't work, you should try open office.

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-writer TOO LATE ;)

Which distribution of Xububtu do you have installed? How much extra open HD space do you have?

It seems your concerned about size, Open office can be tweaked to open fast and offers much more then abiword, but abiword does have the ability to save thinks in a nonformatted way. I have both for various reasons.

I have the last version of Xubuntu, i installed this two weeks ago...

juanmafreelance
December 1st, 2009, 11:54 PM
Hi,

I do not know but it is probably a little bigger and it is most unlikely to be slower.

With 512MB of RAM you should be fine (especially with a swap file or partition), but are you low on hard drive space?

My regards

Now I have more than 4 GB free

wilee-nilee
December 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Now I have more than 4 GB free

I think at this point it will help us to know what your computer specs are. How big is the HD for one, the reason is that filling up the HD will cause your computer to run slow. Only having 4 gigs open to can be problematic.
It may be that you have stuff that you don't need which can be cleaned with two terminal commands.
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean