PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Any way to have shortcuts on one desktop workspace only instead of on all?

jotto!
December 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hi all,
I managed to remove the clutter on my desktop and now am left with just a few shortcuts.
I have my system set up with 4 workspaces and the shortcuts appear on all 4.

Is it possible to set them so they only appear one 1 desktop and the other 3 remain clean and clutter free?

Thanks in advance.

coskierken
December 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
You can load "screenlets" (available through Synaptic) and create a laucher for various programs and leave them on certain desktops. Right click on the icon and then properties and make sure "stick to desktop" is UNchecked. I have four desktops for different things with only the clock, trashcan, and main menu stuck to all. It is a little buggy being that some of the icons I use get distorted for some reason. I will keep working on it, though. I take it you have figured out how to put differnt wallpapers on each desktop through compiz/wallpaper. Enjoy!

jotto!
December 2nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Aha....Thanks for that!

Ok, so now I have replaced the shortcuts with the screenlets 'launcher' icon. Is there any way I can use my own custom icons? For example, can I use a mini screenshot of a game as an icon or do the icons provided have special code behind them to enable them to do what they do?

As for the desktop, I have the samme picture on each but it would be kinda cool to have different ones......

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 3rd, 2009, 02:34 AM
This is what I've been looking to do! Thanks to you.

right-click shortcut. select properties, then cick on the icon in the window that appears.