PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why I still have to use Win7

Kjasontu
November 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have been playing around with Ubuntu for about a month and while I think it is great I can see why it is not quite ready for a primary desktop position. I still will use it to tinker around with.

The one huge fatal flaw in Ubuntu is with Suspend. I am absolutely shocked it is so poorly done as seasoned as Linux is. This is extremely important is you use your computer on and off throughout the day. Hibernate seems to be bug free, but shuts down my computer and takes quite a while to get back up in a usable state.

Windows Sleep is beautiful. It allows me to quickly shut down almost all functions of my computer, even RAM, and step away. When I want to use my computer again, I set down and press any key on my keyboard and it wakes up in seconds and loads my RAM from a file (not a partition). This is so beautiful and elegant.

Here is what I have to do with Ubuntu. I click “Suspend” and I step away. When I get back I have to press my power button on my actual computer which is annoying because my computer is not always easily accessible. After waking up from Suspend my keyboard does not work so I have to click “Log on as a different user”. Once there I have to open the on-screen keyboard and click my login password using my mouse. Once logged in I still have no use of my keyboard. I have to totally log out which closes every open application. Once actually logged out my keyboard now works, and I can log back in to my account, but everything I was working on is now gone.

whoop
November 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Subscribe to this bugreport and stay up to date with your problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/465475

Scott753
November 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I don't think your problems with Suspend occur for every user. Hopefully, now that you've posted it, someone will be able to help you get it fixed. Though I actually think you're right-the biggest problem with ubuntu and most linux distros is the compatibility issues with hardware and applications. In all other areas, I think it beats Windows hands down.

As many jokes as there are about Windows' blue screen of death, I find that troubleshooting with Windows is pretty much straightforward. With Ubuntu, sometimes, there just isn't an answer.

atomizer
November 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Yes, Linux on the desktop is getting there... About a year ago suspend AND hibernate were not working at all. But it gets better and better.
Too bad you have to shut down your PC that much, then this will annoy you.

But I wouldn't trade a 30 sec startup for spyware and viri.

I use Win too, for gaming. Everything on the net I do with my Linux PC

noelvh
November 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I have been playing around with Ubuntu for about a month and while I think it is great I can see why it is not quite ready for a primary desktop position. I still will use it to tinker around with.

Is this your opinion or fact? So just cause one feature in Ubuntu dose not work to your liking the all Linux distros are not ready for prime time?

See I have no problems on my computers with suspend, or hibernate. I wake my system up with ease, and how did you say it-

This is so beautiful and elegant.
My computers run far better under Ubuntu that they did under XP.

Also the idea of a swap partition is far better that a page file.

I am sorry but I must take this as a your opinion, and not fact!!!

Noel

QIII
November 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Did you install Ubuntu using Wubi?

Kjasontu
November 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Did you install Ubuntu using Wubi?

No, it has its own partition. I will report it as a bug. I really thing if they can get this problem licked I would have no reason to use Win7. Like I said, I am on and off my computer so often this is a really big deal for me.

Subscribe to this bugreport and stay up to date with your problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/465475

Thanks. I will submit it as a bug.

whoop
November 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
No, it has its own partition. I will report it as a bug. I really thing if they can get this problem licked I would have no reason to use Win7. Like I said, I am on and off my computer so often this is a really big deal for me.

Thanks. I will submit it as a bug.

Don't submit a new bug (just in the case you where going to do that). Flag the existing bug as affecting you too, and optionally subscribe.

wilee-nilee
November 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I am on and off my computer so often this is a really big deal for me.

This seems important to you, but as s sentient being with the ability to adapt, why don't you adapt. ;)

Scott753
November 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Obviously because humans prefer to change their environment, not change themselves.

I could ask you why you didn't just 'adapt' to Windows.

wilee-nilee
November 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Obviously because humans prefer to change their environment, not change themselves.

I could ask you why you didn't just 'adapt' to Windows.

I did I am writing this from W7. ;)

Adaptation is a important tool in learning, for example in a educational format, you will have different teachers using different methodologies. This is especially true in a college atmosphere. I have a couple of friends that are unable to understand how to learn how to learn consequently they spend more time on things and learn very little.

dBuster
November 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I have to agree that it the suspend must be a particular to your distribution/hardware. I have no issues with speedy shutdown/hibernate/suspend on my laptop.

Recommendation would be in concurrence with the rest who say flag the existing bug report with your information and read through the bug report for any output messages that were asked of the others and try to post your results with your update to the bug report.

I have no reason to go back to windows myself as I am not a gamer per say that I need to use windows. I would like to see more workplaces make the switch to an open source environment as well.

Old *ix Geek
November 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I have been playing around with Ubuntu for about a month and while I think it is great I can see why it is not quite ready for a primary desktop position.I love these categorical statements! Explain something to me, would you? If Ubuntu is not quite ready for a primary desktop position, how is it that I've used nothing but Ubuntu for the past 5 years? Let's go back further than that, shall we? I've used nothing but *nix since 1985. How is that POSSIBLE?!

Cuco3
November 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I bet you're using an nvidia video card? If you are google "Ubuntu nvidia suspend" and you should find your answer in an official ubuntu how to. I have the links but I'm not at my house so if you can't find it just post back and i'll give em to you.

Good luck.

wilee-nilee
November 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I love these categorical statements! Explain something to me, would you? If Ubuntu is not quite ready for a primary desktop position, how is it that I've used nothing but Ubuntu for the past 5 years? Let's go back further than that, shall we? I've used nothing but *nix since 1985. How is that POSSIBLE?!

Hmm you have adapted, good job I say. ;)

Cheesemill
November 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Windows Sleep is beautiful. It allows me to quickly shut down almost all functions of my computer, even RAM, and step away. When I want to use my computer again, I set down and press any key on my keyboard and it wakes up in seconds and loads my RAM from a file (not a partition). This is so beautiful and elegant.

That's hibernating you're talking about. Sleep/Suspend keeps your RAM powered whilst shutting down everything else. Hibernation saves your RAM to the swap file/partition and powers down the whole machine.

wilee-nilee
November 30th, 2009, 10:47 PM
With my acer aspire one suspend and hibernate work in karmic as they should I suspect it is a problem with your computer. I never use these functions but thought trying them might be helpful.

Paqman
November 30th, 2009, 11:53 PM
The one huge fatal flaw in Ubuntu is with Suspend. I am absolutely shocked it is so poorly done as seasoned as Linux is.

The problem here is that while Linux itself supports the power management standards properly, many motherboards don't. Since Windows is such a large part of the market some lazy companies only test their products on Windows. This means that boards with buggy power management on Linux often get released to the market. The Linux kernel devs then have to try and modify Linux to cope with the bugs and quirks of every device out there. Which i'm sure you can appreciate is not easy.

End result: Linux is buggy on certain boards. Generally speaking Intel and Gigabyte boards seem to be the best bet for a trouble-free Linux experience.

teh603
December 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
With my acer aspire one suspend and hibernate work in karmic as they should I suspect it is a problem with your computer. I never use these functions but thought trying them might be helpful.I use an AAO myself, and I can get suspend to work but not Hibernate. Then again, I haven't done any of the workarounds like Tuxonice.

Sounds like the OP has a very hardware-specific problem, like the old "dim backlight on battery power freaks out gnome power manager" issue I used to have.

LunaticHiatus
December 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
The issue with suspend and hibernate in linux is that the issue is driver based and manufacturers only write drivers for laptops in windows.
To make matters worse, manufacturers will write different drivers for different versions of virtually the same laptop which makes writing drivers for all the laptops a staggering feat.

If you want working suspend and hibernate on your laptop. Your best bet is to either purchase a laptop which has a linux friendly company (such as some Dells, Lenovo, Asus, and I believe MSI)

or purchase a ZaReason or System76 laptop which are guaranteed to work and have ubuntu preinstalled.

SteelCore
December 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Maybe this might change your mind

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

Mark Phelps
December 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Maybe this might change your mind

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

You're kidding, right? Saying that malware SOMETIMES causes MS Windows systems to crash is like saying the MS Windows systems sometimes get infected with Viruses.

OF COURSE THEY DO!

All this kind of info will do is cause the MS-haters to snicker, and the MS-lovers to cringe (some more).

So, no, I don't think this revelation about the sensitivity of MS Windows systems to malware is going to change anybody's mind.

Norm24
December 2nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
Gotta weigh in on this one.Kjasontu is 100% on the money.

I've never been able to suspend ANY laptop since I started with Dapper.

Until now.Karmic suspends!!!This is such a big deal that I will not step up to Lucid unless I know I can suspend.If I can than I will fully take advantage of Lucid's LTS status.

SteelCore
December 3rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
So, no, I don't think this revelation about the sensitivity of MS Windows systems to malware is going to change anybody's mind.

Reading the thread all over again, I guess you're right. That was a hasty reply.

Johnny19734
December 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM
I LOVE UBUNTU!!!!!!!!!! I HATE WINDOWS AND MAC OSX WHICH IS REALLY JUST A LINUX PORT!!!!!!!

I'm a Ubundude 4 life!

Flying caveman
December 3rd, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'm sorry your hardware doesn't work with Ubuntu. Personally, I would still use Ubuntu over Windows 7, even if my suspend / hibernate didn't work.

I don't understand why are so quick to blame Ubuntu when their hardware isn't supported.

Its the same situation with Windows, If you have a piece of hardware that uses an un-signed driver and it quits after an update, you're out of luck. Microsoft isn't going to fix it for you. Good luck with your re-install.

Please everybody, quit buying cheap hardware that was designed to ONLY work with Windows.

Zzl1xndd
December 3rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
I LOVE UBUNTU!!!!!!!!!! I HATE WINDOWS AND MAC OSX WHICH IS REALLY JUST A LINUX PORT!!!!!!!

I'm a Ubundude 4 life!

Although I am not a Big Windows Fan and I agree that Ubuntu is awesome, I would have to disagree with your comment about OSX being just a Linux Port. OSX is based of of NeXTSTEP and that in turn was created using BSD code and a Mach kernel.

Also OS X 10.5 and later have UNIX 03 certification, meaning they are recognized as an actual Unix and not just a Unix-like or POSIX compliant OS. Although I understand your comment it is inaccurate and in some was it could be considered to be just the opposite.

Now that I have covered that I do agree Ubuntu > OSX.