PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dell Latitude C480 Slow, studdering dead batteries

Wild_Doogy
November 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
My sister just got a Dell Latitude. (Sharpied on it was the number C840)

It didn't boot from battery power so I plugged it to let it charge and booted it up.
In XP (blargh, Windows) the keyboard was REALLY slow as was everything else. It seemed as if the possessor only worked for .5 seconds, every 4 seconds.

The battery light was blinking orange-orange-orange-green. (repeat)
I tried an Ubuntu live boot disk, but it was EXTREMELY slow booting up and so I tried Xubuntu live CD. EXTREMELY slow, like over an hour to boot.
Again the possessor only seems to work ever 4 seconds for 1/2 a second, before stalling again.

I also want to mention that in the BIOS and boot menu I also had the possessor stalling.

On a whim I took both batteries out and BAM! it sped up instantly. It seems that one of the batteries was completely dead and was shorting the possessor out while it charged until the shut-off circuit stopped it and reset.

The other battery seems to be working fine, and now I have a working laptop with Xubuntu (256 RAM) to give my sister.

I wanted to post this story up so that the next person with a laptop that is running EXTREMELY slow knows to try ripping the battery out and shooting it!

:lolflag:

Wild_Doogy

Not sure where this should be, or what flag, but I wanted it to be somewhere where someone with my problem might look.