PDA

View Full Version : most sustainable file format - an address book

jzacsh
November 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hello,

I'm migrating (actually just sold my MacBook, and getting a regular PC laptop to run Linux) to Linux from Mac. Unfortunately I have like 380 some contacts in Apple's "Address Book" software (terrible software).

Using a bunch of methods, I'm going to get my contacst out into something more useful. This is where I'm stuck - what would you suggest is the most open standards-friendly format for me to create my new Address Book in? Should I write it in XML? CSV?... I'm going to start learning about json soon (not sure if that's relevant- but maybe I should use that?).

Any suggestions would be awesome - the bottom line is: I'm looking for something I can easily program/script my way in and out of easily and not be locked down again (the way I'm feeling now).

Thanks a bunch! :)

Virtual Liberty
November 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
XML - almost every language supports it.

diesch
November 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM
vCard (http://www.imc.org/pdi/)

Paul Miller
November 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Another +1 for vCard. It's made for this specific application, and it's recognized by tons of address book apps and email clients.

jzacsh
November 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Another +1 for vCard. It's made for this specific application, and it's recognized by tons of address book apps and email clients.

Wow -this is awesome. I totally just learned new stuff:
that vCard is *not* a Microsoft proprietary format (I have no idea why I thought that)
iCalendar format is not Apple's format for there iCal application.

vCard format looks awesomely easy too!