PDA

View Full Version : black friday

kpholmes
November 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM
anyone going to buy anything cool for black friday? i know best buy has a pretty nice laptop for 200 bucks.

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Not me, since... http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/428373

Bachstelze
November 27th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Nope. Buses are on strike over here so I'm not going anywhere. :p

mamamia88
November 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM
i'm gonna try to get a netbook off newegg

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM
i'm gonna try to get a netbook off newegg

Your loss.

mamamia88
November 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
how so $189 for a netbook is a good deal imo

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Netbooks in my opinion are a waste of time, money and energy. It is better to get a laptop that has an integrated CD/DVD Drive.

mamamia88
November 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
i have a laptop but it's 17" and i use with dual monitors. i want this for long battery life and travel and for on campus.

kpholmes
November 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM

its not a netbook, it has a 15.6 inch screen. dual core celeron, 4500m gpu. its pretty stacked for a 189.

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
i have a laptop but it's 17" and i use with dual monitors. i want this for long battery life and travel and for on campus.

Get a Timeline laptop from Acer or whatever they are called.

RandomJoe
November 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Not a chance! You kidding? I'm not fond of crowded stores anyway, and the insanity that seems to pervade this day is infinitely worse. This is a good day to stay home and play on the computers! :)

Netbooks in my opinion are a waste of time, money and energy. It is better to get a laptop that has an integrated CD/DVD Drive.
And in my opinion, getting a laptop with integrated CD/DVD drive is a waste. I just about never use the things, it's just extra hardware to add weight and complexity. The rare few times I need one, it's no big deal to plug in an external via USB/FW.

I like the smaller form-factor because it's lighter and easier to carry around. I rarely take my MBP along to work, but grabbing the netbook is easy on the off chance I'm stuck in the office and want/need a second machine while my work laptop is busy. I also like the long runtime, it'll run just about all day without being plugged in.

RiceMonster
November 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I don't like netbooks, because I enjoy being able to type, and having a screen that is big enough to do anything. My laptop fits nicely in my bag, so portability is not a concern for me.

Regardless, this is sort of off topic.

Excedio
November 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM
anyone going to buy anything cool for black friday? i know best buy has a pretty nice laptop for 200 bucks.

Well... Not me... I'm at work...

However, my wife is out wasting my money...

Bezmotivnik
November 27th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Nah, it's a bust.

I think Black Friday has become a pure scam now.

I was going to buy a couple of new basses, but the various sellers wouldn't even match their own month-long discounts from October!

What a joke!

Oh, and forget price-matching, the biggest lie in e-tail.

I could get my price locally, but the sales tax would eat up a large part of the savings.

Feh! Makes me sick...

Exodist
November 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I am not leaving the house. My wife keeps ******* me off nagging wanting to go out..

lisati
November 27th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Huh? Black Friday? It's not even Friday 13th..... :confused:

(And that's before we get into discussions about how we Scorpios think some things are a load of Taurus Droppings.)

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Huh? Black Friday? It's not even Friday 13th..... :confused:

(And that's before we get into discussions about how we Scorpios think some things are a load of Taurus Droppings.)

Whatever you say lisati.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_%28shopping%29

lisati
November 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Whatever you say lisati.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_%28shopping%29
Thanks. All is made clear now.

cariboo
November 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Remember not every one on the forums lives in the states. We get all the hype in Canada, even thought thanksgivings was 6 weeks ago.

Kdar
November 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I got some power tools combo, shop-vac for pretty cheap price.

Catboy~
November 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I really don't want to get trampled to death over a netbook. Besides, after-Christmas clearance sales are better ;)

wilee-nilee
November 27th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Nah, it's a bust.

I think Black Friday has become a pure scam now.

I was going to buy a couple of new basses, but the various sellers wouldn't even match their own month-long discounts from October!

What a joke!

Oh, and forget price-matching, the biggest lie in e-tail.

I could get my price locally, but the sales tax would eat up a large part of the savings.

Feh! Makes me sick...

Being a fellow bass player, what models do you have now. Are you familiar with these.
http://www.conklinguitars.com/

I have a custom 6 string fretless, thats all I need but I miss the 64 fender jazz bass I sold a while back for playing funk.

lisati
November 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Remember not every one on the forums lives in the states. We get all the hype in Canada, even thought thanksgivings was 6 weeks ago.

Good point. In my younger days, it was pretty much unheard of for the locals to do the trick-or-treat stuff here in NZ, but in recent years I've been noticing more and more of the hype related to halloween.

Bezmotivnik
November 27th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Being a fellow bass player, what models do you have now.
I have somewhere between fifteen and twenty (and about twice as many guitars). I tried to remember what all of them are the other night and couldn't come up with a full count...so it's just as well I didn't get any more today.

If I can pick up a bass (or guitar) new for under used market value, I do, but it's kind of getting out of hand.

Of the basses I actually play, they tend to almost all be Leo Fender designs, Fender & MM.

Are you familiar with these.
http://www.conklinguitars.com/
Yeah, but I'm not a fan. Conklins tend to be basses for a type of bass playing I don't do, and an approach to bass aesthetics I don't like.

I'm a conservative bassist, and not a "bass guitarist," which is not an idle distinction. ;)

Really, though, the biggest thing for me nowadays is weight.

wilee-nilee
November 27th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I have somewhere between fifteen and twenty (and about twice as many guitars). I tried to remember what all of them are the other night and couldn't come up with a full count...so it's just as well I didn't get any more today.

If I can pick up a bass (or guitar) new for under used market value, I do, but it's kind of getting out of hand.

Of the basses I actually play, they tend to almost all be Leo Fender designs, Fender & MM.

Yeah, but I'm not a fan. Conklins tend to be basses for a type of bass playing I don't do, and an approach to bass aesthetics I don't like.

I'm a conservative bassist, and not a "bass guitarist," which is not an idle distinction. ;)

Really, though, the biggest thing for me nowadays is weight.

I would agree with the bass is for playing bass lines, but for some of us that are multi-instrumentalists it is a second instrument, so for me I like to be able to solo and keep up with he guitar, keyboard and horn players and play as fast and fluently through any set of altered chords or chromatic improvisation.

A person has to learn the main role first though.

koleoptero
November 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Feh! Makes me sick...
feh is a quite nice little app in my opinion. :P

empty_spaces
November 28th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Waited in line for 1 hour at dawn outside Target for the 1TB Western Digital External Hard Disk for $59.99.

Bezmotivnik
November 28th, 2009, 03:52 AM
1TB Western Digital External Hard Disk for $59.99.
And you got it?

While I have no earthly use for one, that's a nice price!

empty_spaces
November 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM
And you got it?

While I have no earthly use for one, that's a nice price!

Yup, got 2 drives actually.:D

kpholmes
November 28th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Yup, got 2 drives actually.:D

ya thats a steal right there. my aunt purchased 2 of those laptops for 189 i was talking about earlier.

i walked around the malls and such, frys, and a best buy, i only bought a dr.pepper cause i was thirsty, but i like looking at the prices and seeing everyone all excited.

doorknob60
November 28th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I got two Toshuba Core2Duo Laptops for $399 each. Problem is, neither are for me :P One's for my Aunt, one's for another relative. Good thing? I got my Aunt's old laptop. She was sick of it, it was so horrendously slow on XP, that she asked us to get a laptop for her (I offered to install Ubuntu, she denied). It has a P4 grade 1.3 Ghz CPU, and suprisingly to me, it got upgraded to 1 GB of RAM :D Considering they got this in like 2003, pretty good. With Arch on it, it's pretty freakin fast now. Their loss :)

3rdalbum
November 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I don't even live in America (hint: It's another country that starts and ends in A) and I got a Black Friday bargain! Razer were doing a free worldwide shipping promotion on Black Friday if you ordered through their website. I got a keyboard and mouse, fully shipped, for less than what I'd have to pay locally for just the mouse. Awesome.

empty_spaces
November 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM
btw, if anyone is interested, it looks like some Target stores may still have the 1TB drives @ $60.
You can check to see if your local store has any.

http://www.target.com/WD-Elements-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B002E7HEVU/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

mkendall
November 28th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I don't even live in America (hint: It's another country that starts and ends in A)

Angola?

empty_spaces
November 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Angola?

From his avatar info, I'm gonna take a wild guess that it's Australia.:)

Knowle
November 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I bought myself new pjs and a jacket to keep warm. D: