PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Freezes for no rhyme or reason after 10 / 15 mins

CSHANKY
November 27th, 2009, 06:51 AM
On my Dell Dimension 2400 (1 GB Ram).

Mouse works - nothing else does. Noticed that it happens more often when using Firefox.

Temposs
November 27th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Are you using compiz(Desktop Effects)?

Temposs
November 27th, 2009, 07:17 AM
If you are using compiz/Desktop Effects, try turning them off by going to System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects and select "None". Then, see if you get any more crashes like that.

CSHANKY
November 27th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Not sure...I do have a fancy desktop picture etc. How can I tell?

Temposs
November 27th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Go to System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects and see if "None" is selected, as opposed to the other two options.

CSHANKY
November 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Done - disable compiz - will report back.

droadtrip
November 27th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I had a MSI netbook with barely 1 gig of ram and the Intel Atom processor. Despite what Ubunutu was trying to do to make things work with netbooks, nothing ever came through. I had mouse freezes constantly. I finally just re-installed Windows XP to the whole unit and sold it. My Lenovo PC laptop running on 2 gigs of ram has behaved perfect with any Linux distro I throw on it. So based on my experience, you just need more ram, a lot more than the recommended ram from the Ubunutu development team. If that is somewhat an impossibility, try using Xubuntu. The unique graphics there is terrific and is optimized for a wider range of systems. I use Xubuntu 9.10 myself and even though Ubuntu will work fine with full out Compiz effects, i still hold onto Xubuntu. It also has the best Intro Splash screen I have ever seen. Let me know how everything worked out!:KS

Temposs
November 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
If this solves your problem, then it means that there is an instability between your graphics card and the graphics driver(the program that communicates with the graphics card) that you're currently using.

However, if you don't care about having compiz/Visual Effects on your system, then you don't have to worry about this issue, since you've turned them off :-)

Temposs
November 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I had a MSI netbook with barely 1 gig of ram and the Intel Atom processor. Despite what Ubunutu was trying to do to make things work with netbooks, nothing ever came through. I had mouse freezes constantly. I finally just re-installed Windows XP to the whole unit and sold it. My Lenovo PC laptop running on 2 gigs of ram has behaved perfect with any Linux distro I throw on it. So based on my experience, you just need more ram, a lot more than the recommended ram from the Ubunutu development team. If that is somewhat an impossibility, try using Xubuntu. The unique graphics there is terrific and is optimized for a wider range of systems. I use Xubuntu 9.10 myself and even though Ubuntu will work fine with full out Compiz effects, i still hold onto Xubuntu. It also has the best Intro Splash screen I have ever seen. Let me know how everything worked out!:KS

I actually have the exact model of computer the Original Poster(CSHANKY) has sitting in this very room(though completely unplugged and we're trying to get rid of it). It ran Ubuntu just fine, though. It's not a netbook...it's a desktop, just an old one.

I did experience issues with the graphics card,though. In Ubuntu 8.10, Compiz/Visual Effects simply did not work at all with the graphics card on that system. It was a known bug that was never fixed in 8.10. It looks like they've made some progress with it, but I'm not surprised if there is a bit of a problem in 9.10.

CSHANKY
November 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Folks - been over 12 hrs since I switched off the Compiz thingie (never worked on my comp, anyways)...system hasn't frozen ever since.

I have both Unbuntu 9.10 and VirtualBox / WinXP running and been stress-testing it for a while. Keeping my fingers crossed-though cuz you never know when this darn thing will start misbehaving.

I don't think Ubuntu folks have a good handle on the graphics (esp. onboard Intel) issues yet. With 8.x it was horrible flicker upon waking up from hibernation. 9.10 has issues with Compiz. Also, Firefox is unable to detect Java Plugin version (which in turn does not allow me to log-in to my co network).

Oh, well....I should stop whining, 'coz this is free software afterall. And it does boot-up real quick and allows me to most of regular stuff.

Thanks all !

samsam_eli
January 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have no visual effects, but still experience random freeze and have to do a hard reboot (is that the correct expression)
Any suggestions?