PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Managing Ethernet and Wireless connections

Tozzonator
November 27th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Is there a way (preferably via GUI) to choose the priority of wired and wireless connections, since my Xbox is connected to my laptop via the Ethernet and I want to connect to the internet via Wireless, however 9.10 likes to look for an internet connection in my Xbox since it chooses wired over wireless. Can anyone help?

SteveDee
November 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Is there a way (preferably via GUI) to choose the priority of wired and wireless connections, since my Xbox is connected to my laptop via the Ethernet and I want to connect to the internet via Wireless, however 9.10 likes to look for an internet connection in my Xbox since it chooses wired over wireless. Can anyone help?

I had a similar requirement where I needed Wifi internet access and a hard link between 2 workstations for fast file transfer.

I installed the gnome-network-admin (not standard on 9.xx) as per; https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkAdmin and setup the wired interface with a static IP with a different number sequence (i.e. 200.1.1.x for wired, 192.168.0.x for wifi).

This works, but to use the wired connection with Nautilus you have to enter the IP address of the remote device in Location box; smb://200.1.1.2