PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest me a good TV Tuner! (And yes, I've searched already)

Rogue Jedi X
November 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM
So I'm building a DVR box (I live in Slovenia as you can see to the left) and the only thing I haven't picked out is the TV tuner. I've checked the MythTV wiki, the LinuxTV mailing list and your wonderful forum, but either found nothing on the cards the shops are selling near my location or found an unresolved problem on the mailing list. I really want to get a TV tuner that either runs out of the box on Linux or can be whipped into shape by minor tweaks.

The functions that we absolutely must have are:

Analog TV support (this is what we have now)
Digital TV support (we may go digital in the near future)
MPEG-2 (apparently, this is what we use)
MPEG-4

The ones that are optional, but would be very nice to have are:

Radio support (my mom would love this)
Hardware encoder
Remote

I know questions like this have been asked already and for that I apologize, but I'm really running low on ideas. I would really appreciate the feedback or at the very least another site/person I can go to. So thanks in advance for at least taking a look!

ian dobson
November 26th, 2009, 05:51 AM
HI,

I don't know if you can get all these in one card, maybe have a look at using 2 cards.One for analog and one for digital.

For analog I'd recommend a Haupauge PVR-150 for digital how are you getting your TV signal (Satelite,Cable or Antenna)? There are 3 different Digital TV standards dvb-s,dvb-c and dvb-t.

A good source of info for TV under linux is http://www.linuxtv.org

Regards
Ian Dobson

Rogue Jedi X
November 26th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I actually saw that card in both MythTV wiki and TVlinux's mailing list. Unfortunately, I can't find a seller here. But if Hauppauge is really the firm to turn to, I could order it from abroad. As for your question, it's DVB-T.