PDA

View Full Version : Please help on g_utf8_*

froggyswamp
November 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Folks I'm trying for several hours to figure out how to do basic work with utf8 strings in C without any success.

Say I have the utf8 string "/home/fox/.config"
I need to get the string from the start till the last occurrence of "/", that is I need to get "/home/fox", how do I do that using g_utf8_* functions? Anyone please?

I read
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-Unicode-Manipulation.html
but I still can't figure out, I'm coming from Java and I'm used to a (completely) different approach..

MindSz
November 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'm not really familiar with g_utf8 functions, but do have to use those? Whenever I do text-file manipulation I just use normal ASCII values. So I get a line of code using fgets, manipulate it as a char* (a string) and printf it out using either printf or fprintf.

froggyswamp
November 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately I have to treat it as utf8 cause the string _will_ contain non-english (russian, chinese) characters... anyone please?

Arndt
November 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Folks I'm trying for several hours to figure out how to do basic work with utf8 strings in C without any success.

Say I have the utf8 string "/home/fox/.config"
I need to get the string from the start till the last occurrence of "/", that is I need to get "/home/fox", how do I do that using g_utf8_* functions? Anyone please?

I read
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-Unicode-Manipulation.html
but I still can't figure out, I'm coming from Java and I'm used to a (completely) different approach..

I thought I installed the correct package in order to try it out, but I still don't have a glib.h. How is it installed?

froggyswamp
November 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM
When compiling one needs to specify on the command line "-lglib-2.0".
libgtk2.0-dev makes sure you have that installed.
and
echo `pkg-config --libs --cflags gtk+-2.0`
prints out the config elements.

LKjell
November 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM
utf-8 is locale dependent. If your locale is not set to right it might give you gibberish output. Check first with
locale in a terminal and look for LC_CTYPE is set to utf-8. If you use a terminal for input check if character encode is set to utf-8 too.

You can either store your utf-8 characters as char or as wchar_t does not really matter.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <locale.h>

int main()
{
char *str = setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "");
if(str == NULL)
{
fprintf(stderr,"Error when setting locale,");
return EXIT_FAILURE;
}

wchar_t *vowels = L"aeiouŠ°ň";
char * vow = "aeiouŠ°ň";

printf("%ls\n", vowels);
printf("%s\n", vow);

puts("Remember l and L. Very easily to miss.\nAnd check your locale to be utf-8 or you get gibberish too!");
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

froggyswamp
November 26th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Anyway, the question hasn't been answered.
No one can give an example on doing a str.substring(x,y) in C on a utf8 string?

To reiterate, how do I get a utf8 substring from another ( utf8 ) string in C?

LKjell
November 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I think you need to understand how utf-8 characters are stored first.
Then you need to know what do you want to work with. char or wchar_t .
wchar_t is a bit more easier to work with but takes more space. Try to see what this code of chunk do. It is similiar to strchr function.

void split(wchar_t *str, wint_t delimiter)
{
wchar_t **s = malloc(sizeof(wchar_t*));

for(int i = 0; str[i] != L'\0'; i++)
{
if(str[i] == delimiter)
{
s[0] = &str[i];
break;
}
}

printf("%ls\n", s[0]);
free(s);