PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Thunderbird doesn't have permissions to access mail folder?

AxAeo
November 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
So I managed to transfer my Thunderbird profile from my Windows box to my Ubuntu one, and set everything up. Worked beautifully the first time I opened it last night.

Today I turned on Thunderbird, and my inbox was inaccessible for all my accounts, no folders, nothing. I did some investigation, and found that if I ran Thunderbird as root, it ran perfectly again. Basically, Thunderbird does not have permissions to access the mail folder in my profile. (It explicitly told me this as well when I tried to change the local folder directory).

I also found I can't even cd into that folder through the terminal unless I am root. I find this odd, as I'm pretty sure I have all permissions set up for it (chmod 022).

If anybody could help me sort this out I would be quite grateful!

ricardo.gloe
November 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
If you have to access the folder and thunderbird through root, then the files/folder are most likely set to root ownership.

If you change the folder/files to your user, they should work.

If I'm not mistaken

sudo chown -R yourusername:username /folder

"R" option changes all files within the folder

the username repeat separated by ":" changes the user and group

cariboo907
November 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
My ~/.mozilla-thunderbird directory has permissions of 755. I would suggests you open a terminal and type:

chmod -R 755 ~/.mozilla-thunderbird

to set the proper permissions.

AxAeo
November 25th, 2009, 08:05 PM
My ~/.mozilla-thunderbird directory has permissions of 755. I would suggests you open a terminal and type:

chmod -R 755 ~/.mozilla-thunderbird

to set the proper permissions.

This did it. Thanks so much!