List<String> list = ["item"];
String item = list[0];

Set<String> set = {"item"};

Map<String, Integer> map = {"key" : 1};
int value = map["key"];

http://code.joejag.com/2009/new-language-features-in-java-7/

Reiger
November 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Ehrm are you sure? From that article it looks more like JSON to me; in particular that:

These collections are immutable..

froggyswamp
November 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM
If they are "immutable" it makes no sense using that. I guess he means something else.

EDIT: Anyway, I hope they won't do the same to Java 7 as they did to JavaFX: they focused (got obsessed) so much on the language itself that they screwed everything else and forgotten (or didn't have time) to include features and actual improvements to the APIs/runtime people have been asking.

Reiger
November 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
If they are "immutable" it makes no sense using that. I guess he means something else.

Either it means that the object is automatically final (in case of a Map you can still add stuff) or he means that the object must be a constant much the same like Enum types may contain fields.

In the former case it basically boils down to having a more convenient initializer than:

final Map myMap;

static {
myMap = new HashMap();
/* insert preset values here */
}

At any rate, writing myMap["myKey"] is better than myMap.get("myKey"); for the common case of string keys.

jespdj
November 26th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Ehrm are you sure? From that article it looks more like JSON to me; in particular that: ...
He's right, this is one of the proposed new language features for Java 7.

No, he certainly means immutability. Immutability is an important concept, especially when programming in a functional style. Why do you say that ik makes "no sense using that"?

Habbit
November 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Many languages are moving in the same direction: C++0x will also have "initializer lists" so that code like this is possible:
vector<int> my_ints = { 10, 25, -7, 42 };
map<string, float> class_grades = { {"Jasper Brown", 7.25f}, {"Natalie Santos", 5.5f} };
In the last case, the constructor to map<K,V> takes an initializer_list<pair<K,V>>, without the need for even more new syntax.

Btw, immutability need not be a huge problem if the collections created with the new Java syntax can be copied into a normal collection object:

List<String> imm_list = ["item"]; // Immutable
List<String> normal_list = new ArrayList<String>(["item"]); // Mutable

Reiger
November 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
He's right, this is one of the proposed new language features for Java 7.

That is not what I meant. I meant the combination of that syntax in combination with not being mutable seems more like JSON (a data definition concept) than Python (a syntax/programming concept) to me.

NovaAesa
November 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Hmmmm, I'm not liking the idea of initializers like this... It's going to break alot of Java's orthogonality IMHO.

myrtle1908
November 26th, 2009, 11:16 PM
To quote more from the article ...

Here are 7 of the new features that have been completed:

* Language support for collections
* Automatic Resource Management
* Improved Type Inference for Generic Instance Creation (diamond)
* Underscores in numeric literals
* Strings in switch
* Binary literals
* Simplified Varargs Method Invocation

Finally Strings in switch. It may not mean much to many but there are times where I've longed for this ... if only to avoid (the often unavoidable) lengthy if/else-if blocks.