PDA

View Full Version : why can't this regex match?

hbarai
November 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I have been trying to run this regex on some data sets but for some reason it doesn't match yet i feel it should.

if(/^\>(\w*) (gi|.*) bs=\s*(\S*) hsplen=\s*(\S*) pid=\s*(\S*) expect=\s*(\S*)\s*(.*)$/)

i expect it to match this header line;

gi|10954454|ref|NC_001911.1| bs=2985 hsplen=1527 pid=99.5415848068107 expect=0.0 Buchnera aphidicola Dn plasmid pLeu-Dn, complete sequence

but alas!no match!!!

can someone out there help? this is in perl

;)

Grenage
November 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Have a dabble here :)

http://gskinner.com/RegExr/

Arndt
November 25th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I have been trying to run this regex on some data sets but for some reason it doesn't match yet i feel it should.

if(/^\>(\w*) (gi|.*) bs=\s*(\S*) hsplen=\s*(\S*) pid=\s*(\S*) expect=\s*(\S*)\s*(.*)$/)

i expect it to match this header line;

but alas!no match!!!

can someone out there help? this is in perl

;)

Your string starts with "gi", but in your regexp, there is a space before "gi". There is also \>. What does it do? When I try it, it seems to match a literal >.

hbarai
November 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Your string starts with "gi", but in your regexp, there is a space before "gi". There is also \>. What does it do? When I try it, it seems to match a literal

sorry i forgot the ">" but it's a part of the string
for some reason, a colleague is running exactly the same software(same scripts) and he's getting this particular string matched
and i dont have to escape the "|"]

(*,)

Arndt
November 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM
sorry i forgot the ">" but it's a part of the string
for some reason, a colleague is running exactly the same software(same scripts) and he's getting this particular string matched
and i dont have to escape the "|"]

(*,)

I can only recommend that both you and your colleague try to trim down the strings and regexps, you just to the point where it starts to match, and then both add things back until you see exactly what the difference is.

Are the versions of Perl the same?