PDA

View Full Version : Good books: Objective-C?

qrwe
November 25th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Hello there,

A more general thread/guide for coding literature would be perfect for this issue, but the taste is very different, so..

Well, my actual question is: has anyone of you read any book(s) covering Objective C that you could recommend?
Thanks!

jespdj
November 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM
How much do you already know about programming; have you programmed before, and do you know the principles of object oriented programming?

I have this book (http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Stephen-Kochan/dp/0321566157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259139236&sr=8-1) but it's not a great book for me, because it goes too slow. I'm a professional Java programmer and the book's first 7 chapters are about very basic things like loops, if-statements, etc. That book might be interesting if you're new to programming, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have some experience.

Note that Objective-C is mainly used on Mac OS X and the iPhone OS, so almost all books you'll find about Objective-C are about programming for those platforms.

You can also find a number of good tutorials online, just Google for "Objective-C tutorial".

qrwe
November 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks very much! It seems like good start, will eventually buy this book. :-)