PDA

View Full Version : Time to go single panel?

qwerty2009
November 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
currently ubuntu uses two panel's on default install, the first thing i do is remove the bottom panel, remove the menu bar (and replace it with main menu) and add the window list applet to the top panel.

i think its time for ubuntu to go single panel in lucid this saves nearly 30 pixels of window space and leaves you with a less cluttered desktop, this also gets ubuntu looking less like other gnome distribution's on default install.

karmic is the best looking ubuntu version by default so far, lucid should look sleeker currently i do not see the point in using two panels by default when the windows list,show desktop,and recycle bin(which would could go on the desktop) can all fit on the top panel perfectly.

so what is your view on going single panel mode by default?

Usufruct
November 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I don't know, I think the two-panel install is good as a default. Personally I simply remove the bottom panel and install AWN.

doomsword2001
November 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
i prefer 2, i have the bottom one, at 64 pixels :D i think the way it is now it's more organized

ncweber
November 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I use UNR 9.10 which has one panel by default, and it pretty much fits with how I use an OS. Even on my Windows computer, I moved the task bar to the top and adjusted to a minimalist theme that takes up half the space of the standard Windows theme.

Although, I would be amenable to a dock widget similar to what Mac uses. I use StarDock's ObjectDock on my Windows machine. A dock isn't useful for UNR, but once I get my desktop update with Ubuntu 9.10, a dock there would be nice.

qwerty2009
November 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
many people replace the bottom panel with a dock, that another reason i dont see the point of it being there.

new users to ubuntu looking at screen-shots might find it weird seeing there's only a small amount of space to work with as the top and bottom is taken up by panels and this might leave them going down the paid route, many new users probably don't realise you can even remove the panels and change em to how you want em

i see it as a big advantage using less space by simplifying the desktop

ncweber
November 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
i prefer 2, i have the bottom one, at 64 pixels :D i think the way it is now it's more organized

You know, I have been experimenting with one on the bottom in addition to the default at the top. This is primarily with the problem of Panel apps to go belly up on but with disturbing regularity. I recently added a panel at the bottom with a Go Home icon on the far left, and a Shutdown icon on the far right. Then I set the panel to AutoHide because I'm only using it for emergency purposes and otherwise I don't want to see it. :) Besides, when your screen is 8.9 inches and your resolution is 1024x600, screen space is a premium.

Roasted
November 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM
many people replace the bottom panel with a dock, that another reason i dont see the point of it being there.

new users to ubuntu looking at screen-shots might find it weird seeing there's only a small amount of space to work with as the top and bottom is taken up by panels and this might leave them going down the paid route, many new users probably don't realise you can even remove the panels and change em to how you want em

i see it as a big advantage using less space by simplifying the desktop

If a new user is trying out something like Ubuntu, I'd be willing to bet my car that they will know how to right click. Once done, they'll see the delete this panel option.

If you guys have noticed Gnome Shell, it seems as if they are already going single panel, however that single panel doesn't seem to be customizable at all based on the testing I've done on Gnome Shell. Everything is integrated into an overlay, something that I'm not entirely sold on. But hey - worth mentioning I suppose.

qwerty2009
November 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
thats the thing i like about UNR Canonical have realy made use of the small screen size, even tho generally laptops and desktops have large screens they could use this to there advantage and maby create a custom panel such as the new docky feature, the idea of a normal panel just for showing the desktop and window list doesn't cut it for me they could use the space for custom launchers and add a bit of eyecandy to the desktop

qwerty2009
November 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM
If a new user is trying out something like Ubuntu, I'd be willing to bet my car that they will know how to right click. Once done, they'll see the delete this panel option.

If you guys have noticed Gnome Shell, it seems as if they are already going single panel, however that single panel doesn't seem to be customizable at all based on the testing I've done on Gnome Shell. Everything is integrated into an overlay, something that I'm not entirely sold on. But hey - worth mentioning I suppose.

when Canonical decide to use gnome shell im sure i wont use that version of ubuntu it just seems to totally un-customisable especially no wobbly windows that the one reason i dread using windows (just seems very static)

blur xc
November 24th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I don't know, I think the two-panel install is good as a default. Personally I simply remove the bottom panel and install AWN.

...and global menu applet.

And you don't need to keep the panels so fat either. Mine are all like 20px (or smaller, dont' recall exactly right now), my AWN is about that small too, and some smaller default fonts. Why 10pt? I'm using 9 now, and it's ok. Been thinking of going 8 though...

BM

qwerty2009
November 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM
...and global menu applet.

And you don't need to keep the panels so fat either. Mine are all like 20px (or smaller, dont' recall exactly right now), my AWN is about that small too, and some smaller default fonts. Why 10pt? I'm using 9 now, and it's ok. Been thinking of going 8 though...

BM
i have my panel 24 pixels and all my fonts 8 :D i prefer to use smaller fonts than the default size

Hero of Time
November 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I have two panels, but I can go with 1. The bottom is all the functions, menu, quicklaunch, window list, tray, workspace switcher, clock and close/lock button. The top has all kinds of system information like temperatures, hard drive space, cpu/memory use, network information, that stuff.
When you take a look at it, you're overwhelmed by the applets, it's quite full.

Shazaam
November 25th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Old Windows habits die hard. :) More screen acreage!
I have one panel on the bottom. I have tried a multitude of docks, widgets and stuff and one panel is still a comfortable fit for me. A close second is a hidden (rolled up to either side) bottom panel with tint2 sitting just above it.

Edit=
Just tried the new version of awn and I am impressed. Stable, very configurable except for one thing. Vertical height (distance from the bottom of the screen) adjustment is not supported at this time. Fix that and I'm sold.

Jose Catre-Vandis
November 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I use one panel at the bottom (tint2) and wbar at the top for a dock. Being on xfce I can add margins to the top and bottom of the screen to prevent windows hiding them. Of course xfce also gives you the right click access to all applications menus too. Used the same kind of setup with Openbox too.

doomsword2001
November 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM
ncweber (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=839027) , never thought about the resolution thing. I think you are right :)
the good thing is that you are free to do whatever you want, add/remove as many panels as you want :)