PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu One Client

corncob
November 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I just signed up, went to the website and uploaded a picture just to try it. That's okay. I then downloaded the ubuntuone client (a tar.gz, I believe) and extracted it. I now have a folder on my desktop named "ubuntuone-client-1.0.1". What do I do with it?

zeroseven0183
November 25th, 2009, 03:31 AM
The folder in your desktop contains the extracted files from the tar.gz you downloaded.

Ubuntu One is pre-installed in Ubuntu 9.10, which I believe the version you're using (saw it on your profile), and can be launched at Applications > Internet. You will see the cloud icon on the task bar.

zeroseven0183
November 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I assume you already have an OpenID account?

corncob
November 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
The folder in your desktop contains the extracted files from the tar.gz you downloaded.

Ubuntu One is pre-installed in Ubuntu 9.10, which I believe the version you're using (saw it on your profile), and can be launched at Applications > Internet. You will see the cloud icon on the task bar.

Thanks for replying. I do see that the folder contains the extracted files but don't know what I'm supposed to do with them. You say its already installed though and I don't need them? I expected the launcher to do something more than just take me to the website but, after a reboot, ubuntuone is showing up in the file manager. The cloud has a dropdown menu but nothing works (maybe it needs another reboot lol), but as long as its showing up under Places I'm happy.

joshuahoover
November 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for replying. I do see that the folder contains the extracted files but don't know what I'm supposed to do with them. You say its already installed though and I don't need them? I expected the launcher to do something more than just take me to the website but, after a reboot, ubuntuone is showing up in the file manager. The cloud has a dropdown menu but nothing works (maybe it needs another reboot lol), but as long as its showing up under Places I'm happy.

If you are using Karmic (Ubuntu 9.10), then Ubuntu One is pre-installed. Once you launch Ubuntu One (Applications->Internet->Ubuntu One) you should see a web browser window open, asking you to sign in and then prompting you to add your computer to your Ubuntu One account. Once this is done, your client should be connected and you can put your files in ~/Ubuntu One/

Thank you,

Joshua