PDA

View Full Version : lsof -i

K-Z
November 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi, for my project in Linux scheduler, I need to verify whether an incoming process is using network files or not. For that, I need to use the output of lsof -i command. Can you please guide me how to use its output. I have searched a lot for its related data structure or place where its output would be stored but I found nothing. Plzz Help.

A_Fiachra
November 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi, for my project in Linux scheduler, I need to verify whether an incoming process is using network files or not. For that, I need to use the output of lsof -i command. Can you please guide me how to use its output. I have searched a lot for its related data structure or place where its output would be stored but I found nothing. Plzz Help.

If you know a process id, lsof -i | grep PID should tell you what you need to know.

In particular, if you open a PIPE in perl and read the tab delimited output of lsof, you can keep a list of lists (of a hash of lists with NAME or DEVICE as the key) and work off that.

Look into opening a PIPE in Perl.

You can also do this with bash.

CptPicard
November 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Running lsof as an external process and parsing its output is probably not much good in a kernel scheduler. :)

I am currently staring at lsof's source just because I got curious, and it's pretty intense. proc.c is my best guess off where some relevant information might be found: http://pastebin.com/m1acb267c

But, in general, I just have this hunch that someone writing a kernel scheduler should have a nice thick kernel internals book handy that explains how to go through network file descriptors of different processes :)