PDA

View Full Version : HEADLESS backend server

bubu2000
November 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hi all,

I have just upgraded from Xubuntu to Mythbuntu 9.10 and I am having problems configuring a headless mythbuntu backend server like I could do with previous mythbuntu versions :

Xfce desktop refuses to back off (it obviously loads with a new script, which I have no idea where it resides)..

And the server will not boot past a certain point without a monitor attached to it...

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated...

SiHa
November 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
It might be because the X Server can't validate any resolutions (although, in my experience, it then just defaults to low-rez).
I had a similar issue getting my Frontend to boot into the right resolution when the TV is turned off.

If you have nVidia gfx, and have a monitor connected for setup:

Run nvidia settings
sudo nvidia-settingsrun with sudo so that the process has sufficient permissions to write to /etc/X11/.

On one of the tabs there is a 'Aquire EDID' button. Click this, and specify the location to save to (something like /etc/X11/edid.bin)

Add the following to the "Screen" section of your xorg.conf:

Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
-changing DFP-0 to whatever nVidia Settings reports as the active device.

This should give the X server a display mode it can use, and also has the advantage that when you someday need to connect a monitor (and let's face it, you will) the server will correctly setup already.

If you're unfamiliar with xorg, maybe backup your xorg.conf first, so you can drop to a root prompt at boot and restore it if the changes make things worse!

bubu2000
November 24th, 2009, 02:32 AM
If you have nVidia gfx,
THERE IS AN INTEL INTEGRATED ADAPTOR ,NO NVIDIA

On one of the tabs there is a 'Aquire EDID' button. Click this, and specify the location to save to (something like /etc/X11/edid.bin)

Add the following to the "Screen" section of your xorg.conf:
THERE IS NO XORG.CONF IN THE CURRENT UBUNTU RELEASE...

CAN I GENERATE ONE AND FORCE THE USE OF IT?
THANKS AGAIN

uncle hammy
November 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM
THERE IS NO XORG.CONF IN THE CURRENT UBUNTU RELEASE
Really? xorg.conf was installed on all 3 of my 9.10 installs, albeit a very basic one...

bubu2000
November 24th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Really? xorg.conf was installed on all 3 of my 9.10 installs, albeit a very basic one...

UHAMMY, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU GOT ONE, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THE NEW NORM IS FOR UXA OR WHATEVER...HAVE A LOOK
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325212
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1221226

SiHa
November 24th, 2009, 10:11 AM

And on both of mine, and they are used. Maybe nVidia settings generates one.

Anyway, sorry, limited exposure to Intel. I had integrated Intel on my old frontend, and went nVidia in the end to solve the same problem.

bubu2000
November 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
and on both of mine, and they are used. Maybe nvidia settings generates one.

Anyway, sorry, limited exposure to intel. I had integrated intel on my old frontend, and went nvidia in the end to solve the same problem.

i went on and generated and installed an xorg.conf (driver=vesa etc.) file inside x11, which is seen and used, but -WITHOUT A MONITOR- the pc will still not boot past ..whatever (i cant see) , early enough to not load mythbackend or even network...
I am thinkinf of going back to 8.10 ...
Jee, this version is a total headache, they ve mucked up grub, they ve removed "services", they hid the Xfce init script, removed xorg.conf, what next..? ..an os for total idiots perhaps..

tartan-caber
November 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I've a headless server running backend only,built in the following manner.

Installed Ubuntu 9.10 server
Installed mysql-server
Installed mythtv-backend mythtv-database

To run mythtv-setup, I use one of two options

1. M$ Windoze laptop with cygwyn using putty with X forwarding
2. Mythbuntu frontend cli: ssh -X <user>@<backend> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup

bubu2000
November 25th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I've a headless server running backend only,built in the following manner.

Installed Ubuntu 9.10 server
Installed mysql-server
Installed mythtv-backend mythtv-database

To run mythtv-setup, I use one of two options

1. M$ Windoze laptop with cygwyn using putty with X forwarding
2. Mythbuntu frontend cli: ssh -X <user>@<backend> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup

I can manage that, thanks tartan-caber (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=868455).
One thing about option1: I usually run putty from within WINDowZ. Can I run X like that, without Cygwin, 'cause i dont think i will be installing Cygwin on my slow old laptop..
And before you go, I dont quite get your #2 option -is this a command i need to run from another linux machine running myth-frontend? 'Cause this will be the easiest option by far !! Thanks again -

grandtheftautumn
November 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I had the same problem on my Dell Dimension 3000 - Intel integrated video, got stuck during boot, etc.

I solved the problem by adding a graphics card to the PCI slot - don't know why or how it worked, but it worked. I don't think I even had to turn off the integrated adapter in the BIOS. Now my system boots up normally without a monitor connected.

Give that a shot.

bubu2000
November 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I had the same problem on my Dell Dimension 3000 - Intel integrated video, got stuck during boot, etc.

I solved the problem by adding a graphics card to the PCI slot - don't know why or how it worked, but it worked. I don't think I even had to turn off the integrated adapter in the BIOS. Now my system boots up normally without a monitor connected.

Give that a shot.

Will DO STRAIGHT AWAY and let you know, THANKS grandtheftautumn.

bubu2000
November 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Yea, it worked in the end (after a few restarts) , but now other things arent working...
I am getting rid of 9.10 ...it's a fiasko. Thanks guys.