PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] help needed with remote desktop viewer

jonnywombat
November 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I have 3 unbuntu boxes (all running karmic) on my LAN, 2 connected wirelessly and one via ethernet. Each machine has been set up with a assigned IP in my router.

Two of these machines are used by my kids, and I want to use remote desktop viewer to check on them, or to help them if they get a problem. I have set up their machines in the preferences>>remote desktop, and set up my laptop with the ip address, passwords and the like.

I can connect to both machines, but once connected the initial screen that comes up does not change as the machine is used.. so I get a snap shot of what was happening, but not able to watch the activity on the machine I'm connected to, although I can see the mouse move.

However I am able to control the mouse on the remote machine and send mouse clicks.

The same thing happens in both remote desktop viewer and gtk VNC viewer.

I'm sure i'm missing something simple, but I've spent a while hunting about and need pointing in the right direction.

Many thanks

Jonny

jonnywombat
November 22nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Ok I have continued to search and play around. I have found that disabling desktop effects on the remote machine allowed me to connect to it, and see what is going on.

Not really a satisfactory situation, but a work around for now.

If anyone knows of a work around so you can have desktop effects and remote desktop viewing that would be great.

ack.inc
November 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I've been having the same problem!

Though I'm glad to know one can work around this by disabling desktop effects, there's got to be a better way, yes?