PDA

View Full Version : I looking for Swing plugin for eclispe

hoboy
November 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
I am looking for a swing plugin for eclipse-jee-galileo-SR1-win32
for gui programming

myrtle1908
November 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
There are a few but I have had no success with any of them (the free ones). They either don't work at all or don't do what I want. So much so that I always end up hand coding UIs.

I recently tried visualswing4eclipse with galileo and ganymede. Rubbish.

http://code.google.com/p/visualswing4eclipse/

There is also the Visual Editor Project but like visualswing4eclipse it is also rubbish. Neither have had new a release for some years and the docco is almost non existent.

http://www.eclipse.org/vep/WebContent/main.php

I'm told there are some good ones that you can purchase but I have no experience with these.

You could try NetBeans whose GUI editor is much better than the Eclipse offerings. I tried it last week but struggled with it. It tries to be too helpful with "snapping" widgets etc. and I end up yelling at the damn thing.

If you must use a visual designer then definitely go for NetBeans but really, doing it by hand is the only way for Java UIs.

I would be interested if anyone else has had similar experiences. I would love to find a UI designer for Java apps that are as good as the MS ones. VB6 for all its language deficiencies had awesome UI tools.

Reiger
November 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
@Myrtle: heh, too true.

If you want a GUI editor of sorts and you don't want to pay money for it you want Netbeans. However the damn thing isn't actually all that _easy_ to work with. Some pretty basic manipulations (e.g. swap two components vertically but keep their horizontal positions) or make sure that two given combo-boxes fix to the same size if they are *not* part of the same container...

And that is what is to be considered well within the scope of GUI design. But the picture becomes quite a bit worse when more complex scenario's arise; such as e.g. custom resource loading.