PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Songbird and SHOUTcast

NelsonT
November 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
I installed Songbird as an alternative to Rhythmbox because I like the GUI, but now I can't play a SHOUTcast stream because it's not on the list in the SHOUTcast plugin. I was wondering how I could listen to the stream such as adding a stream like in Rhythmbox. Also, can I play m4b's in Rhythmbox or Songbird because I have some audio-books from iTunes.

-Nick

p-dh
November 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Nick,

It's fairly easy to add any Shoutcast stream you want.
1. Find the stream and copy the address, which should include the IP and port # (e.g. http://208.53.158.48:9538/).
2. In Songbird, open a location (under the File menu item) and paste in the address.
3. A new tab will open. Once it starts playing (you may need to click on a link if the page requires it), you will see the stream address listed.
4. In the listing next to the address, you should see an icon under the heading "Download". Right click on the icon and choose "Save to playlist..." Choose whatever list you want, you can even create a new one.

You need to remember that manually added Shoutcast streams may stop working when the server changes the port number for that stream. You'll need to go through the process again.

Let me know if this helps.

Paul

ell02
November 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
In songbird go to tools>addons>get extentions.Under playback and management you will find shoutcast.