PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking problems after Upgrading to 9.10

kvndodson91
November 22nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
i started using Ubuntu not to long ago with 9.04. i didnt like the default network manager so i switched to Wicd, for whatever reason i completely got rid of network manager. after upgrading to 9.10 however, i cannot connect to the internet through wireless or even a direct connection to the modem. after it boots, i get a message saying wicd needs access to my wireless cards and requests my password, after i do that, i get the following error message

Could not connect to wicds D-bus interface. check wicd log for error messages

right after that i get the message

The wicd daemon has shut down, the UI will not fuction properly untill it is restarted

i cannot even open up wicd. clicking the icon does nothing.
strangely i now have The default network manager, though when i try and start that, i get the message

could not launch application. failed to execture child process "nm-applet" (no such file or directory

im guessing after upgrading it installed it. but no matter what i cannot get internet access using Ubuntu. any ideas as to what to do or how to fix whatever is wrong?

(i am new to ubuntu. i know alittle bit about it but dont assume i know what everything your talking about)

Mat11
November 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
All is well now cancel the above. In Oct 2010 software updates sorted out many problems .
Think the reason that my comp plays up sometimes and shows blank screens on start up is because AMD are not fully helping Ubuntu OP systems and graphics cards like my Xpress 200M ! At the moment its off and on twice to see Ubuntu log-on !
Nevertheless i think this OP system is a far cry from others !! It least when its working you can control it not the other way around !!!
Am slightly concerned with KDE downloads you might get unexpected software associated with your downloaded on your computer you've not expected !!!

kvndodson91
November 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Were you actually able to connect to the internet though? on mine i cant even with a direct connection with the eth cable. anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening? and thank you in advance to anyone who tries to help.