PDA

View Full Version : What'll be in Lucid Lynx?

Cam!
November 22nd, 2009, 02:30 AM
I'm curious as to what improvements are being considered for 10.04. Any details?

zagz
November 22nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
:D Winding Gnome2 up.

Cam!
November 22nd, 2009, 02:55 AM
Will we see any major GUI updates? I assume they'd put a Dock into it by default, since so many people just delete the bottom panel.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 22nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
...I assume they'd put a Dock into it by default, since so many people just delete the bottom panel.

Well, I delete the top panel.

Wonder if there's any chance of Gnome 3 and Lucid Lynx synchronizing a release?

bswilson
November 22nd, 2009, 03:07 AM
Wonder if there's any chance of Gnome 3 and Lucid Lynx synchronizing a release?

I doubt it. There was just an article on Slashdot (http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/11/14/0312247/GNOME-3-Delayed-Until-September-2010) stating that Gnome 3 has been delayed until September 2010.

joey-elijah
November 22nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
i heard plymouth was being mooted for boot again, but in a LTS? Hmm..

"planned" (i.e subject to change, but this is the goal)
GDM tools so you can tweak it
Ryhthmbox staying default (almost certain) AND getting Ubuntu Music Store integration
Hardy users upgrading will see a shiny new upgrade experience (new dialogues, etc)
GIMP will be removed from the default set up (and presumably Hardy upgrades)
Pidgin will be removed from Hardy up-graders
PiTiVi will be a default application
10 second boot (on an ssd)
Potential new theme
fixes and enhancements to messaging applet
gwibber as default app
F-Spot tweaks to allow editing of pictures without importing
New menu entry in Eye Of Gnome to "open photo in F-Spot"
Getting rid of themes no-one uses
rearranging menu's and their entries
improved software centre
removing 'synaptic'

umm... i can't think of any more at the moment. but it is 2.14am and my mug is empty...

blueshiftoverwatch
November 22nd, 2009, 03:17 AM
I doubt it. There was just an article on Slashdot (http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/11/14/0312247/GNOME-3-Delayed-Until-September-2010) stating that Gnome 3 has been delayed until September 2010.
I just now looked at the pics of Gnome Shell. I really really really hope that they'll give you the option of reverting back to the old GUI.

zagz
November 22nd, 2009, 03:28 AM
Will we see any major GUI updates? I assume they'd put a Dock into it by default, since so many people just delete the bottom panel.

M. Shuttleworth said Gnome3 for 10.10

10.04 being LTS.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 22nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
"planned" (i.e subject to change, but this is the goal)

- GIMP will be removed from the default set up (and presumably Hardy upgrades)
- removing 'synaptic'

:shock:

dragos240
November 22nd, 2009, 03:43 AM
:shock:

+1

WHY!?! Why remove synaptic? Why remove GIMP?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 22nd, 2009, 03:52 AM
I gotta agree. If Synaptic is removed, I'll head to another debian based distro in the hopes that Synaptic will remain in tact there.

dragos240
November 22nd, 2009, 04:01 AM
I gotta agree. If Synaptic is removed, I'll head to another debian based distro in the hopes that Synaptic will remain in tact there.

Hopefully removing synaptic means removing it by default. Hopefully it'll be in the repo.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 22nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
Hopefully removing synaptic means removing it by default. Hopefully it'll be in the repo.

* crosses fingers *

Nerd King
November 22nd, 2009, 04:12 AM
Tbh removing synaptic would be lunacy. Software centre's way too slow and clunky to be the full-time solution. Synaptic is an excellent piece of software which does it's job well. Why remove it?

MasterNetra
November 22nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
I just now looked at the pics of Gnome Shell. I really really really hope that they'll give you the option of reverting back to the old GUI.

Gnome Shell is just a rough. Finished product is expected to be different.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 22nd, 2009, 04:39 AM

Or, you could save about 6 hours of your time by simply installing Synaptic.

Software Centre is not anywhere near final yet, but it is going to be really great in Lucid.

Stuff to be excited about:
* Pragmatism was in everyone's mind in planning this. Lots of new stuff is being held back, or looked at very cautiously, in the interest of having a desktop that can be supported for a long time.
* A lot of new technology should be polished up nicely here. Apparently the sound people are expecting to have Lucid working really well (although I didn't really follow that end of stuff, sadly).
* Yelp, if WebKit's accessibility stuff moves in the right direction, should become A LOT faster. (Thus usable. Just in time for Mallard).
* Interesting interest in backporting new kernels.
* Design folks have a really awesome new system coming along for system indicators, replacing the inconsistent battery / sound / bluetooth notification icons. They will act as a single menu bar and run with the same back-end whether you're in KDE or GNOME. Will look tidy.
* Maybe client-side window decorations in GTK. Possibly very nice things sprouting from the work.
* Non-application packages in Software Centre. Reviews and ratings, probably.
* A real music store :)

Of course, positive contributions will help every step of the way. If you're interested in helping with (or playing with) a particular work in progress, feel free to ask me where you can find it! I have made a point of keeping track of new stuff.

jacobs444
November 22nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
why would they remove synaptic?

SunnyRabbiera
November 22nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
Why remove Gimp and Synaptic, whos stupid idea is that?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 22nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Or, you could save about 6 hours of your time by simply installing Synaptic.

Shouldn't have to. Removing Synaptic would be completely insane. Yeah, assuming it's left in the repos, I'd install it of course.

But where do you get 6 hours from?????

I've installed various Debian based and non Debian distros in less than 35 minutes.

samh785
November 22nd, 2009, 05:06 AM
Why remove Gimp and Synaptic, whos stupid idea is that?
here's the summit meeting where removing the GIMP was discussed. It's about 55 minutes long, and the GIMP discussion begins at roughly 25:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olDMAYD7t3k

It seems to me that the reasons for removing the GIMP are:

The GUI can be confusing to new users
Saving space on the live cd to include a video editor by default

and against:

it's a plus for Ubuntu and Linux in general to advertise that we have a decent semi-professional grade photo editor available
users with no readily available internet connections won't be able to use it

Psumi
November 22nd, 2009, 05:21 AM
GNOME Shell does not have any applets yet, so no weather, no indicator applet, no anything unless you put it into the systray or gdesklets (if THEY even run.)

Oh and some glitches in gnome shell at the moment:

-- No ALT+Tab App Switcher
-- Power Management Systray icon seems to be in the gnome shell systray when it should not be.

Docks work well with gnome shell because of mutter, a compositor.

kevdog
November 22nd, 2009, 05:46 AM
Im going to apply the same logic as the Synaptic and Gimp -- why remove Pidgin!! Haven't we learned enough from this Empathy experiment already?

Rainstride
November 22nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
+1

WHY!?! Why remove synaptic? Why remove GIMP?

synaptic features are going to be integrated into the software center. Im glad there doing it, it stupid to have to use two different programs to install software.

and as for gimp. I love gimp, but the dev's are right. its too complicated for your average user. the average joe just wants to crop,adjust brightness, adjust contrast, and rotate. thats all.

besides we all know how to install/uninstall software. if you hate the defaults, remove them, and install what you want. I hate empathy so I removed it and put pidgin back.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 22nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
I love gimp, but the dev's are right. its too complicated for your average user. the average joe just wants to crop,adjust brightness, adjust contrast, and rotate. thats all.

Which is exactly what gThumb does. gThumb should be default in my opinion. First thing I do (after multimedia setup) is install gThumb and set it as the default image viewer. Simple, and does the job very well.

Rainstride
November 22nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
why remove Pidgin!! Haven't we learned enough from this Empathy experiment already?

at the time pidgin didn't have voice or video chat, and empathy did. witch is why we ended up with empathy.

Rainstride
November 22nd, 2009, 06:00 AM
Which is exactly what gThumb does. gThumb should be default in my opinion. First thing I do (after multimedia setup) is install gThumb and set it as the default image viewer. Simple, and does the job very well.

from what I read, they're thinking about switching to ether gthumb or shotwell. (because f-spot sucks.)

kevdog
November 22nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
yea but now pidgin does have voice and video for xmpp. Damn buggy it is -- but so is empathy.

SunnyRabbiera
November 22nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
[QUOTE=Rainstride;8364226]synaptic features are going to be integrated into the software center. Im glad there doing it, it stupid to have to use two different programs to install software.
/QUOTE]

Yes but its stupid to have a installer that no one seems to like right now forced when it doesnt have as many features yet.
Synaptic is full featured and robust, software center might be good for beginners but it still not that good if you need certain packages.
Work better be done to software center or I will use openSUSE fulltime if synaptic is gone and software center is as limited as it is now,

Rainstride
November 22nd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Yes but its stupid to have a installer that no one seems to like right now forced when it doesnt have as many features yet.
Synaptic is full featured and robust, software center might be good for beginners but it still not that good if you need certain packages.
Work better be done to software center or I will use openSUSE fulltime if synaptic is gone and software center is as limited as it is now,

if all goes as planned, we will get all the missing features back. its going to have all the ability's of synaptic, but with a much more user friendly and easier to navigate gui. besides, synaptic doesn't go anywhere until the software center can do what synaptic does. I mean we are talking about an LTS here.

Rainstride
November 22nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
yea but now pidgin does have voice and video for xmpp. Damn buggy it is -- but so is empathy.

yeah, sadly it was to late to switch back when the voice and video finally appeared. you can do what i did, and add the pidgin ppa, and remove empathy.

HappyFeet
November 22nd, 2009, 08:13 AM

sudo apt-get install synaptic

Don't panic, It'll still be there if you want it. You have to remember that the kernel keeps getting bigger all the time, and they need to make room for new things. (if they want to keep the base install of ubuntu under 700mb)

kimdino
January 21st, 2010, 03:13 AM

If Gnome 3 is being held back as it is too flaky to be considered for an LTS release then will they return KDE 3 to Kubuntu Lucid? PLEASE. I can't recall ever seeing a desktop as flaky as KDE 4.