PDA

View Full Version : Thread for Cold Warriors (well, books about them anyways...)

earthpigg
November 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
I'm reading The Hunt for Red October (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_for_Red_October) right now.

It reminds me of a high school teacher I once had: he was a former USAF Colonel and had commanded either an ICMB silo and Strategic Bomber base in his past life (i cant recall which). I loved when we got him on tangents about Mutually Assured Destruction and the like. He wouldn't approach Tom Clancy-esque levels of technical detail, of course, but he was comfortable painting the broad strokes of the various plans for creating Armageddon.

Bezmotivnik
November 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Don't have much use for Clancy. There are few if any American writers published who do a credible Cold War. Blame American publishers [spit!], not writers.

If you want to know what it was really like, get some early le Carre. He became variously insufferable as he got older and could get away with more self-indulgent, preachy nonsense, but his earliest stuff is perfectly on-key.