PDA

View Full Version : New Bug

RedSingularity
November 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
I would like to confirm what appears to be a bug. When i start Nvidia settings as super user i run into this problem. To replicate,

1) sudo nvidia-settings
2) X server Display Configuration
3) Change anything in there and click the "Save to x Configuration File"
4) You will see an error that pops up and says, "Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!"

Let me know if anyone else has this problem so i can report a bug. Thanks.

RedSingularity
November 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Nevermind......found the solution. Just run "sudo nvidia-xconfig". Then the above will work.

Chauncellor
November 22nd, 2009, 12:36 AM
I say report a bug on that, because I always have to think back and remember that I need to start it as root. The control panel should ask for elevated privileges instead of roll over and fail like that.

cariboo907
November 22nd, 2009, 01:22 AM
+1, file a bug stating that nvidia-settings should be set up to run as root by default.

LKjell
November 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
+1, file a bug stating that nvidia-settings should be set up to run as root by default.
I would not like that since that means I have to enter a password to just change the screen resolution. A better idea is to ask for permission when it going to write to xorg.conf

PaulInBHC
November 22nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
I just had a look at launchpad. The whole thing is over my head.

I made a launcher on my desktop. The icon is in the upper left corner. When I mount a drive, the drive icon is superimposed over my launcher icon. Is that something to report?

sdowney717
November 22nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
its been like that for at least a year.
the other buggy thing is if xorg.conf does not exist or is an empty file then it throws an error you cant even see the preview and closes.
I am so disgusted with it, what i alwayd do is view preview, select all copy and then open up gksu gedit and make the change manually.

Also that merge option destroys your config makes a total mess of the file.

It is irritating stuff like this that turns people off.

RedSingularity
November 22nd, 2009, 06:24 AM
I think i am loosing my mind :/

Where is the Report Bug button on launchpad?

RedSingularity
November 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Nevermind.....found it. Bug report made. Thanks guys.

phenest
November 23rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Nevermind.....found it. Bug report made. Thanks guys.

A link please.