PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The steps listed fix my slow connection, but what is the underlying problem?

klemperal
November 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Lately, my broadband internet has been getting incredibly slow. Powercycling my modem and router via unplugging the power from the modem and router does not fix the problem. However, the steps listed below do fix the slow internet problem.

Power off the computer
unplug the router
reset the modem (using a paper-clip to push the tiny button)
plug the router back in and wait ~15 seconds
power the computer back on
My question is what is the underlying problem that has me having to do this on a semi regular basis? By extension, what measures can I take to ensure that I don't have to keep doing this on a semi-regular basis?

tlois
November 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
We were having that problem with a 2 year old dlink n-draft router. I was resetting it constantly and it was getting pretty ridiculous. I just bought a new router after a couple of months of that. What kind of router is it and how old? For us, it was not the dsl modem, but definitely the router. It works fine now with the new router.

klemperal
November 22nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
Its a Linksys WRT4GL and I just got it about a month ago so I don't think it is that. Also, I'm using a wired connection. Any other ideas?

tlois
November 23rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Do you think it has anything to do with Ubuntu or is it the router/modem? Do you have other laptops/computers connected to it and how do they do?

Look here too:

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board?board.id=Wireless_Routers

It's a Linksys forum. If it is the router, you may find more answers there.

I do have a Dell Latitude that is dropping connections on Karmic- I have to restart the laptop, though, not the router. My other Karmic PCs do not do that, so I think it is the hardware in this laptop.

Good luck.