PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Encrypted backup solutions

paulchinnz
November 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM
I've been using Areca for most of the year until I started having issues with it a couple of months ago.

Anyway, wondering what else there is besides Areca that provides encrypted backups. Have been using file backup manager but can't see any encryption option with it. Any ideas appreciated.

lavinog
November 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
7z can create encrypted archives.

LunaticHiatus
November 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM
If your looking for encrypted online backup. Ubuntu offers one wit Ubuntu One.

lavinog
November 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Spideroak also offers encrypted online backups.
Currently Ubuntu one requires that you move everything to your ubuntu one folder.

paulchinnz
November 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess with my substandard interwebs access and >30GB to backup cloud backups are not really what I'm after. Anyway, clouds depend on internet access, and I'm after a solution that allows backups on to my USB pen drive for access anywhere there's a USB port.

Is 7z actually 7zip? I couldn't find 7z otherwise.

paulchinnz
November 22nd, 2009, 02:07 AM
Using deja dup backup. Doesn't memorise multiple backup protocols but looks to be doing the job.

lavinog
November 22nd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Is 7z actually 7zip? I couldn't find 7z otherwise.
yes

Puzzled Guy
November 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Install 7-zip with:

sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
Then right-click the backup and choose "create archive"

Then choose tar.7z as the compression method (with tar, the file permissions will be preserved)

Expand "Details"
Here you can choose to add a password (creating a password is optional but if you want it encrypted, go ahead!)

Hope this helps

paulchinnz
November 23rd, 2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the 7z suggestion. What's the difference between this and simply using rar with password and encryption of the file list?

lavinog
November 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the 7z suggestion. What's the difference between this and simply using rar with password and encryption of the file list?

pretty much the same. 7z is open source.