PDA

View Full Version : Application Collections in Ubuntu

Ellipsis
November 20th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Firefox recently adopted a "extension collections" system which enables users to quickly install a set of extensions for various functions. This system is especially useful if you are a new user of Firefox who is unsure of which extension they need or want to test the "best" extensions for a task.

A similar system would greatly benefit Ubuntu for the same reasons.

Proposal:

-Implement a system within or in addition to Software Center that allows applications to be installed in groups.

-Enable an additional side bar option of "Collections" featuring a set "collections" based on things such as security and multi-media editing. For ideas on applications you can look to Ubuntu derivatives.

-Create an official "PLUS" collection of additional programs/packages Ubuntu doesn't ship with the CD but which are useful or recommended. This collection should have certain criteria and size limits. It could for example include video editing, GIMP, Frozen Bubble and maybe restricted extras (controversial, I know).

-Ensure that the user is able to remove unwanted packages from the collection before they go into the download queue.

Advanced Features/Suggestions-

-Link with Ubuntu One and create "custom collections" that allow you to instantly add old programs to a new install or additional computer.

-Ability to add repositories to the collection.

-Make sure the community is involved in the selection of applications for particular collections.

Toadinator
November 20th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I believe this was discussed at the UDS. It's very possible something like this will happen.

mpt
November 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! This is something I have vaguely planned for the Ubuntu Software Center v4 in 2011 — that anyone could create suggested groups of software packages and share them with other Center users. Of course, if anyone wants to implement the feature sooner than that, they’re welcome to.

Ellipsis
November 21st, 2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! This is something I have vaguely planned for the Ubuntu Software Center v4 in 2011 — that anyone could create suggested groups of software packages and share them with other Center users. Of course, if anyone wants to implement the feature sooner than that, they’re welcome to.

If we could get "collections" in Lucid in some basic form ie. only a "PLUS" collection. Most of the ground work would be laid for user created collections in the future. Moreover, it would stop some of the controversy about removing GIMP.

Anyone got any ideas on a name other than "Collections"? Ideas for packages included in the "PLUS" collection would also be welcome.

ronacc
November 21st, 2009, 04:18 AM
Anyone got any ideas on a name other than "Collections"? Ideas for packages included in the "PLUS" collection would also be welcome.

how about "suggested enhancements" ? grouped by what the are for ex: multimedia , office , graphics etc .