PDA

View Full Version : How do I break into IT

rootless
November 20th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I love linux. I am consistently amazed at how much I've learned since I started with ubuntu. When I look back at the posts I made as a noob it makes me smile.

I feel that I have come very far, to the point where I can fix the majority of software problems on my own. I've learned perl. I've administered and secured a server. I've repaired all manner of problems, and custom-built distros.

I dual boot with Gentoo now ^___^ Anyway, at a certain point... I'm not quite sure when, I just realized I wasn't a noob anymore. I suppose it was when people started to go to me and ask for help, instead of me having to ask them.

I absolutely love technology. I already spend hours every day messing with linux. I would love do this as a job. I don't think it would get old.

There's one problem though- I'm a freaking historian! I have two history degrees. I am entirely self-taught in the field of technology. I've never taken a class or gotten a certification in my life! My resume is laughable!

I'd like to try to break into IT... but honestly, from my perspective, with my unconvincing resume, it seems near-impossible.

So far, I've come up with a few ideas. I'd like to try to start small, to build experience volunteering, or at a help desk... but nowadays even these jobs are asking for more rigorous certification.

I know I could pass at least the lower-level Redhat Certifications if I study... I just dunno whether I want to spend any money on EVEN MORE classes a this point. Maybe I'll just study over the summer and try to take the test.

Still, passing a test doesn't guarantee anything. Can you give me any advice on how to build a resume so that I can break into the field? What web sites do you use when your on the hunt for an IT job?

joey-elijah
November 20th, 2009, 02:02 AM
You find the certifications worth it if you have little else to show for your capabilities. These will at least prove you can do what you claim.

You need to be persistant, capable and able to get your foot in the door though other ways. If you're not looking to work in "major league" IT you might find getting a job in an office as a junior sys admin would be helpful.

adeypoop
November 20th, 2009, 03:24 AM
When I got into the IT industry it seemed quite hard even with certification as everyone wanted at least 2 years experience. I don't want to put a dampener on your chances though. You can take heart from the fact that experience is valued by many employers sometimes more than having the certificate. I know of people who did get their foot into the door sometimes with no certification or experience :o I think sideways moves into IT from within an organisation can happen if you show the right aptitude.

Best advice I can give is get some certification if you can and also be ready to take some rejection, persistence can pay off in the end when you find the right place to be. Good luck

Mike'sHardLinux
November 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM
It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Certifications are good to have in some situations, but what's more important is being lucky enough to get an interview. It helps to know someone already working at the company, or if you are in school, career services can help you get your foot in the door, if they have a good career services department.

Once you get the interview, how well you interview is still more important than how many certifications you have. When I interview people, I care more about how willing a person seems to be to work hard, and take direction.

By the way, interviewing is not really my job. I just get asked to do it from time to time.